Windows 98SE Display Issues and other Q's

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
spring01

Windows 98SE Display Issues and other Q's

Post by spring01 »

Ever since I installed a VM with Windows 98SE, it has been stuck on an annoyingly small 640x480 resolution, as well as only being able to display 16 colours. I have read that it's something to do with Graphics card driver settings, but I do not know how to change that in respect to a VM. Also, all movements, from loading menus to the screensaver, seem extremely slow and jerky. Is there any way to solve this?

Moreover, I am under the impression that 98se does not support wifi. If this is true, is there any way to share my internet connection from my windows 10 host?

Regards,
Spring01
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 98SE Display Issues and other Q's

Post by socratis »

spring01 wrote:I have read that it's something to do with Graphics card driver settings, but I do not know how to change that in respect to a VM.
Take a look in the Howtos and Tutorials » Windows Guests section, there are several articles that deal with Windows 98.
spring01 wrote:I am under the impression that 98se does not support wifi
To be exact, no VM can see WiFi in VirtualBox, because VirtualBox does not emulate WiFi. If you stick with the defaults as proposed from the template (NAT mode, PCnet-FAST III), then your Windows 98 will have internet access. Do not try and launch a browser like Internet Explorer to check whether you have internet access or not, it's an exercise in futility. You won't be able to access anything with a browser from 20 years ago...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.