SD Card (USB) not mounting

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
buckthorn

SD Card (USB) not mounting

Post by buckthorn »

Guest is Win 8.1. Host is Mac OS X. Latest version of Virtual Box. I created a USB filter, but the card never appears in File Explorer. Under Devices I see that the SanDIsk item is checked, but the card is not mounted at This PC. This really can't be that difficult, can it? Any suggestions?

BTW, I cannot use a shared folder due to certain characteristics of the SD card contents that I won't explain here. It's not an option for what I'm doing.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: SD Card (USB) not mounting

Post by socratis »

buckthorn wrote:This really can't be that difficult, can it?
Actually it might be way more difficult than you imagine. Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting and especially "#3 Device categories". Your SD card falls in the "Uncapturable" category because there's a service/daemon running on your host that doesn't let go of the device. You need to identify and stop that service/daemon. No, I haven't done it, I don't know what's the service/daemon responsible for that.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.