Virtual machine stuck in 'Saving' state!?! SOLVED

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
DonInVA

Virtual machine stuck in 'Saving' state!?! SOLVED

Post by DonInVA »

My Win10 machine, which has operated successfully for months, was hung in a pausing state. I clicked the close on the window, ordered it to save, and now it was hung saving. What to do? I forced quit of the virtual machine process. The VirtualBox process (under OSX on a MacBook) was now hung, so I forced quit of it. Upon restart of VirtualBox, the Win10 machine shows state 'Saving', but of course there is no virtual machine running. From the VirtualBox interface there is no command available to reset the state. I am stuck, apparently.

So, I looked at command line possibilities. Will the following command reset the state of the virtual machine?
VBoxManage discardstate <Win10name>
or is there some other command line command that I should use to get my Win10 machine back?

-Don
Last edited by DonInVA on 7. Oct 2017, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.
DonInVA

Re: Virtual machine stuck in 'Saving' state!?! SOLVED

Post by DonInVA »

An update on the 'Saving' status: it is fixed -- Hurrah! What I did: After the virtual machine stuck state problem, I decided that I no longer had confidence in the situation of the MacBook itself, so I restarted it. I then posted my query to this forum. Then I did other activities, such as email, on the MacBook. After several hours, I decided to start up VirtualBox again, assuming that my Win10 machine would still be stuck in 'Saving' state. But, NO! It was 'Powered Off'. So I started it, and it woke up just fine. And, I just now saved its state.