EFI boot screen: Please show only "bad messages"

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Poul

EFI boot screen: Please show only "bad messages"

Post by Poul »

Ok, this might be a minor thing. And yes, I know EFI is experimental!
And I must say, you have come a long way, since I last tried installing with EFI, now it actually boots, and does it fast.
But I think a boot screen should only show messages, when "something is bad". EFI boot screen currently shows some flicker which basically says: Everything is ok. Thats's bad, because you get used to see that flicker, and then one day, when something goes wrong, you won'r notice it.
I'm sure that debug message has been useful in the past, but if you don't NEED it, I suggest you HIDE it (only log it).
Here's the screenshot (since that's what it's all about). As I said it flickers for about 1/10th of a second.
Memory.png
Memory.png (23.9 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
I would have attached the whole boot video, it gives a better impression of the flicker but it's too big, hmm.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: EFI boot screen: Please show only "bad messages"

Post by socratis »

Poul wrote:then one day, when something goes wrong, you won't notice it.
Oh yes, you will most definitely notice it. It will burn your screen to be exact because you won't go any further than that point. Is this a hypothetical question?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Poul

Re: EFI boot screen: Please show only "bad messages"

Post by Poul »

All I'm asking for is a nice looking boot screen (and the boot logo is nice).