Windows 98SE Protection Error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Markyb86

Re: Windows 98SE Protection Error

Post by Markyb86 »

thats nuts, switched over to a Ryzen 3 from an Core-i5 3750, and using this command brought by VM back from the protection error as well.

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i5-3570"
Shamedy

Post by Shamedy »

I had the same error on a real AMD Ryzen 5 5625U, Linux host and Windows 95 guest.

The suggested cpuprofiles don't seem to exist but it looks like it works with almost any Intel profile. I am currently using Intel 80486.

My only issue is that the OS doesn't shut down anymore. It gets stuck at the screen with the clouds.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Over time it has become clear that, for some reason, Win9x has problems with the AMD Ryzen. So yes, anything that makes it see Intel may help, though I don't know why. I would not choose 80486 (i486) however, as that CPU is too old in the other direction - it was around in DOS and Win3 days (*). Others have mentioned i5, I'd stick to that. And always single core of course.

Just checked: the i486 was released in 1989 - definitely DOS era, it even predates Win3. It existed almost as far back in Win98's past as Win7 was in its future.
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Post by birdie »

Shamedy wrote:I had the same error on a real AMD Ryzen 5 5625U, Linux host and Windows 95 guest.

The suggested cpuprofiles don't seem to exist but it looks like it works with almost any Intel profile. I am currently using Intel 80486.

My only issue is that the OS doesn't shut down anymore. It gets stuck at the screen with the clouds.
https://github.com/JHRobotics/patcher9x

This patch should have been pinned and announced here a long time ago. No one particularly cares. Fixes the two regressions/errors Windows 9x OSes exhibit on newer CPUs.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

birdie wrote:This patch should have been pinned and announced here a long time ago. No one particularly cares.
Please post the first topic link where this patch was mentioned on the forum.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

birdie wrote: This patch should have been pinned and announced here a long time ago. No one particularly cares. Fixes the two regressions/errors Windows 9x OSes exhibit on newer CPUs.
Well, addressing problems Win98 has with AMD processors is hardly the purpose of these forums. But if it's a brief note then we can add it to the tutorial.
FX8370core

Post by FX8370core »

VBox 7.04 on Devuan Daedalus as host, HW AMD x570/Ryzen 5900X, fresh installation of 98SE into a new VM. I experienced a series of shell32/shlwapi.dll errros during HW detection which ended with an Explorer crash.

Got that bit working by applying the patcher9x patch.

FX