WinXP internet access

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
tiptonian

WinXP internet access

Post by tiptonian »

I found several topics on this subject but could not find a solution that covered my situation. Sorry if there is a solution somewhere that I missed.

I'm running Virtualbox on a 64 bit Win10 host with a 32 bit WinXP SP2 guest, but cannot get full internet access on the XP VM. I've tried with NAT and Bridged Adapter and have installed the Intel XP adapter drivers on the guest so I can use the PCnet fast III or Intel adapters. I can ping things like 8.8.8.8, google and BBC successfully. IE 6 would not give internet access so I have installed IE8 on the guest VM but still no access. Neither www addresses or IP addresses will work. The only sites that do seem to work are Bing and MSN and on my local network I can see my Home hub on 192.168.1.254, and my printer web interface on 192.168.1.103. I've tried turning firewalls off with no success. I've updated to the latest Vitualbox (5.1.28). I've not yet tried other browsers if there are any that run on XP - any suggestions here please or what else can I try?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: WinXP internet access

Post by BillG »

IE8 is still too old and IE11 won't run on XP. Try using Mozilla Firefox 37.0.1. Later versions don't work on XP.
Bill