Recent Guest Additions versions will not install on Windows 8.1

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BobPaulJr

Recent Guest Additions versions will not install on Windows 8.1

Post by BobPaulJr »

I have not been able to install recent versions Guest Additions on my Windows 8.1 guest. I update VB regularly and am currently at VB version 5.1.28. However, I have not been able to install the accompanying GA since version 5.1.18. Each time I download the GA for a given VB and try to install it, I get a pop-up message that says, "The Virtual Box Guest Additions cannot be installed on this version of Windows".

Does this scenario ring any bells?

I'm running an OS X host and I keep relatively current with both the host and guest operating systems.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Recent Guest Additions versions will not install on Windows 8.1

Post by socratis »

BobPaulJr wrote:Each time I download the GA for a given VB and try to install it
You do *not* have to download the GAs. They come bundled with your VirtualBox installation. Just go to the menu Devices » Insert Guest Additions CD Image... and then run "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BobPaulJr

Post by BobPaulJr »

Sorry, I misspoke. The GA comes along with VB and loads itself into the optical drive. I am installing it from there as you describe. That's when I get the message that it won't install on this version of Windows.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I want to see some evidence about that. Guest Additions (GAs) can be installed from Windows NT 4 and higher, up to the latest pre-released Windows 10, so I'm not sure why you're seeing this. Are you sure that you're running "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe" and not something that looks like it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Also a screenshot showing the error message: the screenshot should include evidence of the Windows version.

And if any messing about with compatibility mode has happened then mention it.
BobPaulJr

Post by BobPaulJr »

I've attached 3 screen shots --
WinInfo.jpg shows info about the Guest computer, including Win version
Welcome428.png shows the welcome screen of the install.
ErrMsg428.png is the error message that pops up during the install.
Attachments
ErrMsg428.png (8.43 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
Welcome428.png (94.5 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
WinInfo.jpg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

4.2.8? Where did you find those GAs?
Bill
BobPaulJr

Post by BobPaulJr »

I can't tell you precisely, Bill, but it was part of the VB 5.1.28 install. Somewhere in there, there is a pop-up that asks if you want to download the GA. I said yes. It then mounts the GA in the CD drive.

I am a bit surprised that the VB is 5.1.28 but the GA is 4.2.8. I notice in the log that the GA that I'm actually running is 5.1.18 (the last GA that I could install). I "pretty sure" that the versions presented in that Welcome page have been 4.2.2, 4.2.3, etc. I will look for 4.2.9 as confirmation the next time there is a release.

Bob
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BobPaulJr wrote:I can't tell you precisely, Bill, but it was part of the VB 5.1.28 install.
No, it was not. The GAs that come with VirtualBox 5.1.28 are also 5.1.28 (surprisingly).
BobPaulJr wrote:Somewhere in there, there is a pop-up that asks if you want to download the GA.
There is no pop up that prompts you to "update" or "download" the GAs. None whatsoever, because, as said multiple times, the GAs come bundled with the main program. And they are the same version as the main program.
BobPaulJr wrote: I "pretty sure" that the versions presented in that Welcome page have been 4.2.2, 4.2.3, etc. I will look for 4.2.9
You will not find an "odd number" version on the loose. They are the developer builds. All official builds end in even numbers, such as .0, .2, .4, .6, .8, etc.

Please, follow the official instructions. Use the menu Devices » Insert Guest Additions CD Image... and run "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe".
BobPaulJr

Post by BobPaulJr »

Got it. Now I understand. 5.1.28 GA is loaded. Thanks all.