not identified network- pubblic network

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
cinzia

not identified network- pubblic network

Post by cinzia »

Host = Windows 10 entreprise; guests = Windows 10 entreprise.
I wish to simulate a little LAN and share folders only with VM. I choose "host-only" (or "internal") connection for netcard.
Windows guest network became pubblic. I am not able to change it as private so is not possible share folders.
With "nat" all is OK but i do not want to use it.
Someone, please, may help me?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: not identified network- pubblic network

Post by socratis »

Search Google for "Windows how to change Public to Private". That's a Windows problem.

If I remember correctly, you have to run "gpedit.msc", go to Windows settings, Security settings, Network settings. There you can change all/specific networks from Public to Private. But, I could be wrong, Google it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
cinzia

Post by cinzia »

thanks a lot.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

The first thing I would do is check the network config of the guests. You do not need a default gateway to communicate between machines on the same network and in the same IP subnet, but Windows will not set a network to private without it. How do the vms get their network config? Have you configured a DHCP server or are they manually configured?

If the machines are set up correctly Windows should offer you the chance to make the network private when you enable file and printer sharing.

This assumes you want to share files between guests. The situation is different if you want to include the host in the sharing.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

BillG wrote:You do not need a default gateway to communicate between machines
And it is exactly the lack of the default gateway that makes Windows decide that this is a Public network and not a Private one. If you want to go into the advanced properties of the NIC and add manually a gateway, then (with the help of Lord Voldermort) the network becomes Private. Oh, the beauties of algorithms...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Yes. A strange decision. A private network does not need a default gateway, but a public network is useless without one. So they make a network with no gateway public.
Bill
cinzia

Post by cinzia »

Thaks guys for yous comments. You know I'm a newbye in VB (and Windows too :D ) but I did what you suggested:
Connection = Internal network.
Manually I setted:
NIC card Guest A: IP address 192.168.1.10, netmask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.254
NIC card Guest B: IP address 192.168.1.12, netmask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.254
Network remains pubblic.

I tried the first help by Socratis:
gpedit.msc -> windows setting -> safety settings -> network list management policies -> double click on "not identified network" -> change: type of route = private.
In this way network became private but...
... is not possibile to create a shared folder.
:roll:
cinzia

Post by cinzia »

OK, now I've been able to change in private network. But "active file sharing and printers" does not work. :twisted: