Basic GUI Snapshot management guide

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ttellahzab

Basic GUI Snapshot management guide

Post by ttellahzab »

Hello All,

Could someone direct me on how to manage snapshots withing the VirtualBox GUI as I struggle with understanding how VistualBox handles these.

I have many snapshots in my setup with the identical situation as found in the attached image.

The reason for there being so many "Snapshot x" snapshots is due to the fact that I have clicked elsewhere in my tree of snapshots to restore that snapshot. As a result of restoring the GUI asks if i want to keep the current machine. As i do not want to lose it I have nearly always said yes using the default naming convention.

Is it possible to:
a) Combine all of the "Snapshot x"'s in the attached image into the "+ User" snapshot? And,
b) Can I restore to a completely different snapshot without losing what i have just done but the changed to be just combined into the current snapshot?

If there is a general up to date snapshot management document somewhere I am happy to read that. I am just struggling to find such information.

Thanks in advance,
Barry
Attachments
Capture_1.JPG
Capture_1.JPG (21.05 KiB) Viewed 785 times
ttellahzab

Re: Basic GUI Snapshot management guide

Post by ttellahzab »

Anyone? :-)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Basic GUI Snapshot management guide

Post by mpack »

Snapshots let you build a house of cards. Most experienced users avoid them, which means that you are probably more familiar with the user interface than most of us.