Installed windows 10 from usb, now I can't run the VM without the usb attached

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
em125390

Installed windows 10 from usb, now I can't run the VM without the usb attached

Post by em125390 »

Hello,

I know I'm not the first to ever encounter this, but I cannot find anything here in the forums... Thank you in advance for your kindness and patience.

I have installed a Windows 10 Pro guest on my macOS host. All is well until I try to remove the install disk(the vmdk file that points to the windows 10 usb installer). Then when I try to boot I get operating system not found or bootmgr corrupt etc.

I can't find the procedure for tying this installation off nicely so I can remove the usb boot stick vmdk and use the vdi I have the working windows installation on.

I can add the vdmk back(and plug the usb stick back in) and get back into the windows guest. When it boots it asks if I'd like to boot into Windows 10 or Windows Setup. I choose Windows 10 and I boot happily into the guest OS...

How do I ditch the usb and get straight into the guest OS?

Thank you,

E
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installed windows 10 from usb, now I can't run the VM without the usb attached

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Windows Guests" from "OSX Hosts". You'll have a much wider audience.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Installed windows 10 from usb, now I can't run the VM without the usb attached

Post by Martin »

Did you use raw disk access to boot from the USB stick?
If I remember Windows 10 always puts the boot loader and boot menu on the first "physical disk" and probably did see the the USB stick as such in this case.
Unfortunately I don't know how to fix this...
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I had a look a this one but have no idea what is going on. How is a .vmdk involved to install Windows in a vm?
Bill
em125390

Post by em125390 »

Thanks for responding. I reinstalled using iso file and all is peaches.

Cheers,

E