Storage: USB Controller - setextradata

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Meshx86

Storage: USB Controller - setextradata

Post by Meshx86 »

With the new USB Storage Controller, i was wondering if it is possible to set VendorID, ProductID and other parameters using setextradata ? and what would it be the proper device path for that ? something similar to "VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port0/ModelNumber" "model" but for USB?

Another question: would it be possible to change the AttachedDevice type to a usb mass storage instead of Harddisk ?

Cheers
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Storage: USB Controller - setextradata

Post by mpack »

Meshx86 wrote:With the new USB Storage Controller, i was wondering if it is possible to set VendorID, ProductID and other parameters using setextradata ?
Why on earth would you want to do that? All you'd succeed in doing was stopping the device from finding its device driver.

Short answer: no. The vendor ID and Product ID is reported by the device itself. All VirtualBox provides is a virtual controller for it to communicate with. And, that virtual controller is closed source and protected by a certificate, so hacking it is out.
Meshx86

Post by Meshx86 »

So how you come this can be done for ahci and not USB?

Am not talking about inserted host us devices, I am talking about emulated usb storage functionally added after 5.0
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Meshx86 wrote:So how you come this can be done for ahci and not USB?
My guess? Because a customer had a need for it. No such customer need arose for the USB devices, therefore the amount of time and effort spent on implementing, testing and supporting this feature could not be justified economically. But that's just my guess...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Meshx86 wrote:Another question: would it be possible to change the AttachedDevice type to a usb mass storage instead of Harddisk ?
I honestly don't understand the question. In what context?

USB mass storage is a superset of hard disks, CD-ROMs, floppy drives, and others. The USB MSD standard is really just a relatively thin wrapper around SCSI. VirtualBox currently allows attaching emulated hard disks or CD-ROMs via USB.
Meshx86

Post by Meshx86 »

i mean to emulate a USB stick rather than HDD
Last edited by socratis on 22. Aug 2017, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Meshx86 wrote:i mean to emulate a USB stick rather than HDD
Can you explain the difference in technical terms? What exactly do you want the guest OS to see differently, and what difference do you expect it would make?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

michaln wrote:What exactly do you want the guest OS to see differently
A USB stick? Some apps require a USB stick instead of a USB HD. I don't know how they can tell, but they do. Even the Disk Manager in Windows does...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Meshx86

Post by Meshx86 »

michaln wrote:
Meshx86 wrote:i mean to emulate a USB stick rather than HDD
Can you explain the difference in technical terms? What exactly do you want the guest OS to see differently, and what difference do you expect it would make?
insert a USB stick into your computer, user USBDeview.exe you'll know what i mean :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I created a USB controller and a added a USB HD. I also inserted a real USB stick via a USB filter. Guest: Win10x64 with XHCI. Both USBDeview and USBTreeView report a common difference in the "Capabilities" of the two devices. Both are reported as being "Removable" and "SurpriseRemovalOK", while the stick has an extra one: "UniqueID".
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Meshx86 wrote:insert a USB stick into your computer, user USBDeview.exe you'll know what i mean :)
That doesn't really answer either of my questions. Most importantly it doesn't answer why we should make it configurable.

Are you talking about the Removable bit (RMB) in the SCSI INQUIRY response?