[Solved] I can't get floppy images to work on a Win 98 guest on Ubuntu host

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SmolFloofyRedhead

[Solved] I can't get floppy images to work on a Win 98 guest on Ubuntu host

Post by SmolFloofyRedhead »

I got the VM up and running just fine, and I set it up to play the old Microsoft Entertainment Pack games. However, when trying to run the floppy disk images by "inserting" them through Virtualbox, and even when there's nothing in the "drive", I get the "Device not ready" error.

The boot floppy image worked just fine.

I also have an XP VM that I set up last night, and I can get them to read so I can get at the files, but I get an error when I try to run the setup.exe on them saying that it is valid, but is designed for a different machine type.

Edit: Solved! I had the idea to change the file extension of the floppy image in question to the same one as the boot "floppy", and it worked!
Last edited by SmolFloofyRedhead on 21. Aug 2017, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: I can't get floppy images to work on a Win 98 guest on Ubuntu host

Post by socratis »

SmolFloofyRedhead wrote:even when there's nothing in the "drive", I get the "Device not ready" error.
Of course you will, there's nothing in the drive. Were you expecting to read something when there's nothing?
SmolFloofyRedhead wrote:when trying to run the floppy disk images by "inserting" them through Virtualbox
You don't "run" a floppy disk, there's got to be a program there to run. Secondly, how did you create the floppy? What's the exact size of the floppy?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SmolFloofyRedhead

Re: I can't get floppy images to work on a Win 98 guest on Ubuntu host

Post by SmolFloofyRedhead »

Oh, I thought the normal message when it's empty would be something along the lines of "nothing is inserted in drive A:" or something like that. All I ever did with Win 98 was play the Entertainment Pack games on it when I was 5-7 or 8. I never did use a floppy with it. Hell, I didn't even do anything with CD-ROMs until I was using XP!

While typing this, I had the idea to change the extension on the .img file for the Entertainment Pack image to .vfd (the extension of the boot "floppy") and IT WORKED. Now I can finally enjoy what I set up this VM for! Yay!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] I can't get floppy images to work on a Win 98 guest on Ubuntu host

Post by socratis »

SmolFloofyRedhead wrote:I had the idea to change the extension on the .img file for the Entertainment Pack image to .vfd (the extension of the boot "floppy") and IT WORKED.
I can't see why that would make a difference, but hey, if it works, it works ;)

Thanks for the feedback and for changing the title to [Solved] !
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.