guest crash after upgrading VB on new PC

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Paul86

guest crash after upgrading VB on new PC

Post by Paul86 »

Hello,

I used to run Win XP (guest) with VB 4.2.12 on a HP computer quite old running Win10 (and up-to-date) (host).

I have bought a new computer (W10 of course), have installed the latest VB (5.1.26), I have created a new VM using the previous VDI (moved from the old computer) and launched the VM. It ends, while starting, with a critical error. When I start again, the VM proposes to start running the "sans echec" mode (in English, maybe "failsafe mode" ?) and guess what, it works, and even my software works (MS Money). But it's not a good solution.

I have tried the various option available on the VM (system, OS...) and disable what could be disabled (network, sound, USB...) with no result.
I tried to install VB 4.2.36 , but it didn't run at all (VB didn't run).
After reading this forum, I checked my BIOS/UEFI, but didn't found any option regarding virtualization.

Does someone have any idea ?

Best regards

Paul
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: guest crash after upgrading VB on new PC

Post by scottgus1 »

The correct method to copy a guest to another Virtualbox host is Moving a VM. Re-do the transfer of your guest using this method if you didn't use it before.

Also see I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests for info on the Virtualization setting (VT-x in Intel hosts, AMD/V on AMD hosts). Virtualbox is moving to require VT-x (makes a guest run better) on guests that didn't need VT-x before. Not being able to find the switch in your BIOS may be a problem. Talk to your computer's manufacturer about where the switch is or how to get it. The CPU in your new PC may also not have VT-x or AMD/V.

If you have 10 Pro or higher, Microsoft Hyper-V may be turned on. If so, you will need to turn it off to allow Virtualbox to run using VT-x.