Guest Windows XP crash in CMD window when ALT Enter pressed

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
N2PRISE

Guest Windows XP crash in CMD window when ALT Enter pressed

Post by N2PRISE »

I looked back and found a similar problem about 6 years ago on this forum. It was reported as solved with a later version of VBox Guest Extensions, but the problem is still here. I have Vbox version 5.1.26 r117224 and the latest guest extensions installed although it shows 2.2.0.iso (27.41 MB) installed as an IDE Primary Slave under Storage.

I was struggling to get XP SP3 up and running normally in a VM again this morning and had ONE session where everything worked as it should with Lotus 123R3 running in full screen and it was beautiful. I did a reboot and now it only runs in a fixed-size window. Using the ALT Enter command to switch to full screen freezes XP until I ask Vbox to close that window.

Does anyone have an older Guest extensions file that might fix my problem. I have looked at the Oracle site and found no joy. There are lots of VM files, but almost nothing on versions of Guest Extensions. My host computer is running Win 8.1 with Intel i7 processor. I use Windows Defender for antivirus on the Host and the Guest.

Please let me know if you have fixed this problem for VM version 5 or will I have to drop back to a version 4 VM?

Here is one of the posts from 6 years ago, it was on trouble ticket 9236.

Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guest Windows XP crash in CMD window when ALT Enter pressed

Post by scottgus1 »

It is possible to run older guest Additions on a guest running under a newer Virtualbox, if you don't have anything fancy like 2D/3D turned on (It may even work with these, too).

If you have a spare PC you can install Virtualbox on for a minute you can install an older version, then get the Guest Additions ISO out of c:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox.

If you don't have a spare PC and you have or can get 7-zip (free for Windows) or some other archive opener, you can open the Virtualbox installer file. Inside will be, amongst other stuff, a ".rsrc" folder, then "RCDATA" folder. Inside RCDATA you will need to then open the BIN_02 file as an archive, and inside will be the Guest Additions ISO for that version of Virtualbox. Extract that ISO file to your public folder, and load it in the Virtualbox guest's CD drive.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You can also get any version of the guest additions from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/ at least to 4.0
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Had a feeling there was something somewhere like that site, Perry! It's going in my links. Thanks!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

It used to go all the way back to the beginning, but they eliminated that a while back. Now just to the least supported versions.