Windows NT 5.0 build 1729 Pink icons glitch

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
InkyG
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 17.10, Fedora, KDE Neon, W10 Insider Preview, Classic versions of MS Windows and DOS

Windows NT 5.0 build 1729 Pink icons glitch

Post by InkyG »

After installing Windows NT 5.0 Beta 1 Build 1729 as an update to Windows NT 4.0 I found the Virtualbox guest additions would run into an error when installing, and that the manually extracted drivers would not install properly, forcing me to find an alternative graphics driver to relieve me from 16 color 800x600 hell, I found it in the form of BearWindows' VBEMP NT Project*, 32 bit color and a wide range of resolutions work, but the Windows explorer icons have a quite evident pink shade in them, this is not present in any other UI element, including Internet Explorer's, nor is it present in Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 SP4 (possibly because both use windows explorers with different layouts) using the same driver nor does it happen using the basic MS VGA driver, but it happens with this driver in this OS, no matter the resolution or color depth. Does anyone know a fix for this? Possibly a different driver that would work in NT 5.0 Beta 1 running on Virtualbox?

*Aforementioned driver - http://bearwindows.boot-land.net/vbemp.htm

mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows NT 5.0 build 1729 Pink icons glitch

Post by mpack »

As far as VirtualBox is concerned, if you use a beta guest OS then you're on your own. Demonstrate a problem with a release OS and then you might generate some interest. Any bugs in a Microsoft product beta should be reported to Microsoft - that is after all why they release betas. Though I suspect your bug report might be considered a bit overdue, and they might want to know where this beta came from.