Hi anyone, pls help me, spec cpu core problem

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
OracleCool

Hi anyone, pls help me, spec cpu core problem

Post by OracleCool »

Anyone, know how to set spec core in virtual machine cpu cores settings
there only one way, by default you can pick 1,2,3 or 4 cores, but cant, select specific, for example 3,4 or 2,3
Its very bad becouse if yo have 2 or more virtual machines, and select for example 2cores, both of machines use 1,2 core of 4cores
i want to set 1st virt machine use 1,2 core(by id), and 2nd machine use 3,4 core(by id)
Is it possible? very happy if it's possible
sory for bad english, just learning it
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Hi anyone, pls help me, spec cpu core problem

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm not certain how to set which host CPU runs the guest's code, but I'm also not certain if you need to bother. I have had a four-core host running two 2-core guests and a one-core guest at the same time, and the guests and host were all happy (They weren't all going full throttle, though).

Virtualbox does not actually "take" a core away from the host to give it exclusively to a guest. If guest code fills up cores 1 and 2, then the next guest will start using core 3 and 4. The host OS handles that. Attempting to force a particular core for a process may interfere with the host's and Virtualbox's overall operation and result in less performance.

I would not change or restrict anything until you can demonstrate that your particular host has an issue that you can document. Try getting a pi-calculator in each guest and set them both running at the same time, and see what happens.