Windows10 DID keep activation after conversion

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jlinkels58

Windows10 DID keep activation after conversion

Post by jlinkels58 »

OK, I know there are a few thousands of posts about windows <any version here> loses activation after conversion to a virtual machine. This is the opposite.

I just converted Window10 from a new Dell Inspiron laptop to VMDK. I used vCenter Converter v6.1 from VMware to convert the original installation to a VM for VMWare Player.

The partition scheme is fairly complicated. Besides it is GPT. Or at least it was on the laptop. Except for the NTFS partition for C:\ there is a 500MB EFI partition, a 450MB recovery partition and yet another 13 GB recovery partition. I doubt whether I needed those two recovery partitions in the VM. For sure they had to remain on the laptop.

My intention is to install Linux on the laptop and keep the original Windows running in VirtualBox. I think it is illegal in MS terms (not being allowed to move the software to another machine). But in my terms it is certainly legal. I paid for the software so I am entitled to run 1 copy.

Anyway, I converted the physical machine. Connected the VMDK to Vbox running on my Desktop. Windows started and said "this copy of Windows is Licensed"

Of course I am very happy that I don't have to take yet another hurdle with software licenses, but WHY??

jlinkels
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows10 DID keep activation after conversion

Post by mpack »

jlinkels58 wrote:Windows started and said "this copy of Windows is Licensed"
No doubt. But then all copies of Windows are licensed to someone. Does This PC|Properties say that the installation is activated?
jlinkels58

Post by jlinkels58 »

Sorry. I was inaccurate.

This PC \ Properties says:
"Windows is activated. Read the Microsoft Software License Terms"
Product ID: 00***-*****-******-AAOEM

jlinkels
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

jlinkels58 wrote:WHY??
Maybe Microsoft hasn't caught up with your system yet. Give it a couple weeks...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

My thoughts too. I don't know what the precise periods are, but Windows isn't doing a hardware signature check continuously, nor is it hammering the activation server to compare the current signature. If you can run the image for 30 days without complaint then I would conclude that activation is happy.
jlinkels58

Post by jlinkels58 »

Ah, OK. See my experience with Windows is limited to running it in a VM when I have to test something or run a program which is really only available in Windows. That is why I need to keep a running Windows version around.

So MS is so smart to set a time bomb. So that the user can go ahead, wipe the physical version, do irreversable steps and then they drop the bomb. Well, well... :roll:

jlinkels
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Not so much a time bomb, more like they're too big to catch you quick.
And you could very likely re-install on the original hardware and re-activate fine (and have it re-activate itself if you have an active internet connection)
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

jlinkels58 wrote: So MS is so smart to set a time bomb. So that the user can go ahead, wipe the physical version, do irreversable steps and then they drop the bomb.
That would be the effect yes, but I don't see a problem myself. The only people who might take issue are those who're prevented from ripping the software off, and I hardly think that keeping good relations with those is top of the MS agenda.

If you want a free desktop OS, I suggest Linux.
jlinkels58

Post by jlinkels58 »

mpack wrote:
jlinkels58 wrote: If you want a free desktop OS, I suggest Linux.
That is what it is all about. I am a Linux only person but I need to keep a running copy of Windows around. For occasional testing or for communicating with hardware which come with a Windows-only control application. Like measurement devices, machine controllers, etc.
Basically there are 2 choices: dual booting or running Windows in a VM. None of them I consider illegal or piracy. But dual booting is inferior and second choice. What I meant with "irreversable" is that the dual boot option is lost after Windows is wiped from the laptop. If you have to dual boot. Or can only be recovered by performing a system recovery. (And then wiping the just finished Linux installation)
Things might not be that bad though. MS itself points to a solution to activate a virtualized copy of W10 here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 63d50a4212
Let's see what happens in the next few weeks. I'll keep the forum updated.

jlinkels