[Solved] Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions in Windows 7

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jbays09

[Solved] Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions in Windows 7

Post by jbays09 »

Hi, I also seem to have the same problem; though my host computer is Windows 8.1 running VirtualBox5.1.26, whenever I try to install Virtualbox Guest Additions into Windows 7, nothing seems to occur despite the download and the reboot. I've tried a lot of solutions I've read up on the Internet many times and all fail. I got very frustrated, so I am here to hopefully get it fixed. What I really want out of Guest Additions is the ability to resize the screen of the VM for Windows 7. In the past, when I inserted the Guest Additions CD, downloaded it, and reboot/restart the VM(Ubuntu), all worked out just fine. But I've done the same steps for Windows 7 and it's just not working. Below this post will contain logs of the situation I am in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Logs.zip
(56.13 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by socratis on 5. Aug 2017, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions in Windows 7

Post by socratis »

Did you do a Physical to Virtual (P2V) transfer? If not, please do NOT hijack other people's threads simply because you may have similar symptoms. A fever can be due to a cold, it can be due to a stroke. Completely different things ;)

You seem to have installed the GAs. Do you have a VirtualBox icon in the system tray? Make sure that all the icons are shown in the system tray first...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jbays09

Post by jbays09 »

Sorry about hijacking another person's topic. :(

I do not think I have done a P2V transfer. I do have a VirtualBox icon in the system tray.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes, as I said, your GAs are installed, at least that's what the log says. What's the setting in VirtualBox Preferences » Display » Maximum Guest Screen Size? If it's not Automatic, change it to that.

I assumed you rebooted the guest after you installed the GAs, right?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jbays09

Post by jbays09 »

Yes, I rebooted it before and I've just tried changed it to Automatic, which did it for me! Thank you very much for the help! I haven't done this for my other VMs (according to my knowledge), but this fix did it. Again, thank you very much.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions in Windows 7

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].