Slowing response to USB footpedal

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Moonguide-2

Slowing response to USB footpedal

Post by Moonguide-2 »

I'm a transcriptionist, and I use GearPlayer 4 to play back audio files that I transcribe.

I'm running VirtualBox Version 5.1.24 r117012 (Qt5.5.1) on Ubuntu MATE 16.04. I run Windows 7 Professional in VirtualBox, and I run GearPlayer 4 on Windows. I used to run Ubuntu 14.04, VirtualBox 4.3.36_Ubuntu r105129, Windows 7, GearPlayer 4. The problem I'm having did not appear on the older setup. They are separate machines, but the one with the problem is newer, with at least the same performance hardware.

The problem is that with the new system, after about 10 minutes of playback time, which can take up to an hour of clock time, GearPlayer keeps playing for about a second after I lift my foot from the pedal. That doesn't seem like much, but it's annoying to a transcriptionist. When I take my foot off the pedal, the playback should stop instantly. The effect happens gradually over that hour. Restarting GearPlayer does not fix the problem, nor does a simple Windows restart. But shutting down Windows and restarting it from the VirtualBox manager does fix it, for another ten minutes of playback.

I spoke with a GearPlayer tech. He had me go into Windows and disable power management settings for USB root hubs. That didn't have any effect.

Are there similar settings in VirtualBox itself, or in Ubuntu MATE 16.04?

Any other ideas about where I should look?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Slowing response to USB footpedal

Post by socratis »

Moonguide-2 wrote:I run Windows 7 Professional in VirtualBox
You didn't mention what kind of USB settings you have, but I assume that you've used the defaults right out of the box, i.e. a USB 2.0 controller.

You could try to enable the USB 3.0 as it is more robust compared to USB 2.0. The small problem with that is that Win7 doesn't have native support for USB 3.0, so you'll have to download the Intel drivers in your guest and install them, typically before you make the change in the USB settings.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.