Age of Empires Gold on Windows 2000 Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
bigboi

Age of Empires Gold on Windows 2000 Guest

Post by bigboi »

Hello there,
I recently installed Virtualbox and used my copy of Windows 2000 with the goal of running Age of Empires Gold edition. My friend (uses Early 2011 13 inch MacBookPro and Virtualbox 5.1.26) has been able to do this without issue. However, on my computer (Late 2013 MacBookPro Retina) when I run Age of Empires in the VM, the game is so slow that it is unplayable. My mouse moves only every few seconds and the "VirtualBox VM" program will usually become unresponsive during this time, although game music remains playing, and most game animations remain normal. I gave the guest a 10GB HDD, 512MB of RAM and 64MB of Video memory. My friend is using the same settings. Anybody know how to get this game working?

EDIT:It should also be noted that I have installed Guest Additions.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Age of Empires Gold on Windows 2000 Guest

Post by socratis »

bigboi wrote:My friend is using the same settings.
I'd like to see some evidence regarding that statement:
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe behavior" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Added bonus if you get these two files from your friend. It's going to make my life a lot easier, not sure about yours... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.