Windows 10 S guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Petr Vones
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64-bit

Windows 10 S guest

Post by Petr Vones »

Microsoft has just released Windows 10 S for MSDN subscribers. Any experience in VirtualBox (64 bit Windows 7 host) yet?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 S guest

Post by socratis »

For those that don't know what "Win10 S" is (I didn't), the "S" stands for "Student" and it's targeted to the educational market. From a relevant article in NeoWin:
Windows 10 S was originally announced at Microsoft's May 2 event, which was focused on the educational market. The new SKU of the OS only runs apps that have been downloaded from the Windows Store, but customers will still have the option of a paid upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (it's free until the end of the year).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Keira

Post by Keira »

Windows 10 S is the latest Windows 10 operating system released by Microsoft on 2nd May 2017 with its persistent features. As Microsoft states Windows 10 S is the faster, cheaper and more secure updates version of Windows 10 Pro.

According to Microsoft, the “S” doesn’t stand for anything in particular, but the company says Windows 10 S is streamlined for simplicity, security and speed. Windows 10 S is providing speed, security, compatibility, improved battery life but one thing, which we need to consider, is this is having some limitations also as compared to Windows 10 Pro or Home.

Windows 10 S only supports the apps, games, software that are downloaded and installed from Windows Store.

Machines running Windows 10 S will be available from a variety of Microsoft’s PC-making partners, with Acer, Asus, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Samsung and Toshiba all producing machines, starting at $189 in the US.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Keira's post reads a bit like an ad. :lol:

Anyway, as Mpack pointed out here, Virtualbox Guest Additions are going to be a problem for 10 S guests. They aren't on the MS Store....
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Keira wrote:and more secure updates version of Windows 10 Pro.
Translation: "more secure" == "MS gets all the $$$".

It's a blatant attempt to hook 'em when they're young.
LFOM

Post by LFOM »

Using VirtualBox 5.1.28, I was only able to install 10 S over Windows 10 Pro 1703 without guest additions... Every time I tried with different configurations and guest additions installed the 10 S installer would abort installation and restore the previous Windows version, although it would say in the beginning that everything was compatible. I've used Windows10SInstaller5932.exe from Microsoft site.

Regards.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

You can only install Windows Store Apps on Windows 10 S. NO other app installations are permitted, so there is no way to install VirtualBox Guest Additions successfully as that requires a Desktop installation. So if you need the features that Guest Additions supports, don't bother with Windows 10 S.

The limitations of Windows 10 S led to Microsoft immediately offering free upgrades to Windows 10 Pro for users/purchasers of Surface Laptops for a limited time. Surface Laptops are of course the only PCs (currently) to have Windows 10 S installed at point of sale. I feel a Windows RT moment coming on; and we all know what happened to that