Outlook doesn't recognize the file

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Fonn78

Outlook doesn't recognize the file

Post by Fonn78 »

Dont know what happened but I think since yesterday I started getting error message when opening pst file with the help of MS Outlook.

Error 'Outlook doesn't recognize the file outlook.pst. No information can be recovered'.

I am not too familiar with Office actually, so you may have to give me step-by-step instructions.
Anyone have any idea on what I should do? How to open pst file?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Outlook doesn't recognize the file

Post by socratis »

This is not a VirtualBox problem I'm afraid, this is an Outlook problem. You should have better chances of finding the solution if you start looking in the appropriate places.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Outlook doesn't recognize the file

Post by scottgus1 »

Fonn, the only Virtualbox-based reason for this issue that I could gather is if you are trying to open this .pst file through a shared folder established through Guest Additions. A .pst is really a database, if I interpret things right, and Guest Additions Shared Folders are only good for file copying, not opening databases or running programs. Use a real shared folder through a network, or copy the file to the guest disk first.

Of course you didn't actually mention anything in your post to even imply you had a Virtualbox guest running, so....