Win7 host, WinXP guest - slow performance "recently"

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Bejoscha

Win7 host, WinXP guest - slow performance "recently"

Post by Bejoscha »

Appollogies for this post beeing not utterly useful to the developers. :oops:

I simply lack the time to look into it properly right now and the purpose of this post is more or less to let you guys know that slow performance is observed so that similar reports may "cummulate" to something more useful.
I don't expect anyone to "solve" this for me right now - I rather wanted to add one point of observation to the cloud. *"Something"* is different.

I'm using VirtualBox for years now with essentially the same configuration: Win7 x64 bit host, clean Win XP installed as client with just one small program I need.
It always worked like a charm and I always updated VirtualBox whenever prompted. Never had a problem.
However, during the last months (-sorry, I can't remember the exact date-) I started noticing that WinXP runs really slow on the VM.
I was too side-tracked by other things to pay much attention, but today I've done a quick Google-Search if others experieneced something similar. As I've not found a thread which really points to this, I'm starting this one.

Running on VM 5.1.24 now, but I believe I've observed this already with the previous version. All was for sure fine back in January 2017.
Attachments
Logs.zip
Logs of WinXP client machine.
(51.64 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Win7 host, WinXP guest - slow performance "recently"

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.1.24 r117012 win.amd64 (Jul 17 2017 20:04:19) release log
00:00:23.035032 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 4.1.16 r78094 '4.1.16'
Your Guest Additions (GAs) are quite outdated. That will affect the graphics performance, among other things, including your shared folders, which is a miracle that they still work.
00:00:01.058261 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001e00000 (31 457 280, 30 MB)
00:00:01.976783 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
So is 3D acceleration. Please enable them. In fact increase the vRAM to 128, enable 2D and 3D acceleration, boot your WinXP guest in safe mode (F8 at boot) and install the GAs including 3D acceleration. Reboot your guest and eject the GAs CD. See if that improves the situation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.