windows server 2016 gust running on win 10 host is super slow

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Peter Cheung

windows server 2016 gust running on win 10 host is super slow

Post by Peter Cheung »

Hi windows server 2016 gust running on win 10 host is super slow. If i turn on nested paging, some people said will fix it, but my computer will even hang. I just allocated 4 cores to the VM and my pc have total 8 cores. You have meet this issue?
thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: windows server 2016 gust running on win 10 host is super slow

Post by socratis »

In order to better understand the problem you need to submit some more information. Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.

Specifically for the VM log file ("VBox.log.zip"), here's what you do:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error. Record the error message. EXACTLY. Post a screenshot if you have to.
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not saved or paused. Completely shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (only the first VBox.log), ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: windows server 2016 gust running on win 10 host is super slow

Post by BillG »

That seems a bit odd. I have a Server 2016 vm with 2G of memory and 2CPUs running on my Windows 10 host (Intel i7-4770) . It is pretty sprightly - I would say quicker than a Windows 10 host with the same resources assigned.
Bill