Help! Network adapter not finding wifi

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Sweeze

Help! Network adapter not finding wifi

Post by Sweeze »

Hi guys, my first post so be kind :) aha

So im having an issue with my USB network adapter; im using an Alfa AWUSO36H with Kali Linux
It used to work fine, but one day I went on and everything had gone wrong!
Outside of the virtual machine it works absolutely fine however when I go on the virtual machine I spend 10 minutes waiting for wifi networks to connect to but nothing ever shows even if im like 2 ft away from the router

When i do ifconfig in a terminal its showing a WLAN0 as well as an ETH0 so its being recognized, but I got annoyed cause it wasnt working properly so I deleted it and remade a new one with no success...

Now ive come to resetup a new virtual machine for the 5th time and im completely stuck now :lol: :lol: so id just like a bit of help to know what im doing wrong.

As for the settings ive got:
Bridged adapter - to the wireless adapter in my laptop (promiscuous mode allowed)
Ive setup the device filter in the USB settings and when loading up a virtual machine it shows that its connected

Im now trying to do it with the usb network adapter as the network rather than USB device in hopes that will work, if it does then this post is pointless ;) if it doesnt then im well and truly lost...
EDIT: it didnt work. Im gonna cry furreal this is annoying asf

HELP!!!
I would upload screenshots to show you but my screenshot buttons broke :lol:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Help! Network adapter not finding wifi

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox does not provide a wireless card to your VMs, so that Bridged that you have is not going to get you far. The only option that you have is to capture a USB WiFi adapter. If you say you've done your USB filter, then you should unplug the USB, start the VM completely and then plug the USB WiFi adapter.

If that doesn't work, please read USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.