No shared folder anymore after Win10 Creators update

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
WolfK

No shared folder anymore after Win10 Creators update

Post by WolfK »

Hi,

I noticed that shared folders are not displayed anymore on the guest system Windows 10 after the creator's update. Until I updated the system, they were working just fine. Win 10 on a Mac (Sierra) host.

Did anyone else notice this?

Wolf
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: No shared folder anymore after Win10 Creators update

Post by mpack »

I don't see how that's possible, if the VM still runs. GA shared folders are a function of the GAs, and of the VBoxSVC process. The GAs are not affected by a host update, while if the latter was broken then your VMs wouldn't run.

Even so, reinstalling VirtualBox after such a major host OS upgrade is never a bad idea.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Actually mpack it was the guest that was updated. The OSX host is just fine (I hope).

@WolfK
Known issue with Windows 10. Re-install the Guest Additions (GAs).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WolfK

Post by WolfK »

STUPID ME!

Yes, the MacOS host is fine :-)

I already re-installed virtualbox and the guest-add-ons, before I posted the first post, but I forgot to re-install the drivers from the virtual DVD...

I'm getting old... :-(

Now everything is working :-)

Thanks for the hint!

Wolf
jflamman

Post by jflamman »

Exact same here - shared folder would not mount (Debian host, Windows guest) after creators update.
Reinstalling guest additions fixed it
craig100
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Win10

Post by craig100 »

Are you able to copy properly between your Windows 10 Guest and your Mac Host now? I had the same issue as you when the Creators update hit my Windows 10 guest. Reinstalling the Guest Additions sorted visibility. I can copy directories with their contents from the Host to the Guest, but if I try Guest to Host then only emtpy directories are created. Individual files will copy ok but not directories WITH their content.

Is there anything I need to check to get this going again? It was all fine before the creators update.

TIA
Mark92630
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by Mark92630 »

Same problem, same fix (reinstalled Guest Additions). Thank you, @socratis.

@craig100, after this, I was able to open Windows File Explorer, drag a folder containing a couple of files to my shared folder, open the macOS Finder, and see the shared folder with the newly added folder and its two files.