app running very slow in Windows 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
maker675

app running very slow in Windows 10

Post by maker675 »

Windows 10 guest / OSX host

A few weeks ago I posted because an application (Eve Screen Designer) was running impossibly slow in my virtual environment (try to perform an operation and wait 15 secs before mouse click responds). Turns out the problem was that I'd allocated 4 processor cores (out of the 4 in total on my Macbook Pro 15 inch) to the virtual environment leaving nothing for underlying OSX services. The fix was to reduce to 2 processor cores.

Now have the same problem with another application from the same source "FTDI Eve Screen Editor". Needless to say I'm already on 2/4 processor cores and so not sure what to try next?? (The windows task monitor shows max 50% processor and memory usage, disk usage 0 - yet still all jammed up.)

Any suggestions ? (Logs attached - have only been trying to use this app today.)

ps what's the difference between the 4 log files ? I included them all.

pps the app. http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utiliti ... reenEditor
Attachments
logs.zip
(120.91 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Last edited by socratis on 15. Jun 2017, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: app running very slow in Windows 10

Post by BillG »

Perhaps they just write slow software?

What does this software do? Is it designed to use a GPU? A vm does not have one and cannot use the one in the host.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

maker675 wrote:ps what's the difference between the 4 log files ? I included them all.
The log facility keeps the last 4 logs from the last 4 runs of the VM. It rotates them. The most recent (and the only one usually needed) is the VBox.log. You just need that one.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
maker675

Post by maker675 »

OK thanks @socratis

Any ideas what the problem might be this time? :D

@BillG It's not a very GPU type program. It just simulates a small screen and displays the code that you'd need to use in your microcontroller to generate what you've drawn on the screen using various widgets and primitives. We got their much more sophisticated "Screen Designer" package running smoothly so this smaller and lighter version should be OK?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

maker675 wrote:Any ideas what the problem might be this time?
Last time I was able to download the program that you had a problem with and test it. This time I'm in the middle of something, so I'm not sure I'm going to be able to. Maybe over the weekend. I'll keep the tab open in my browser as a reminder, but I'm not promising anything...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

@maker365

The best source of first-hand information/advice should be the software developer. They should know whether or not there is anything within their software that might cause performance issues when running in a virtualised environment, or whether there is any specific action can be taken to improve performance.
louhoang

Post by louhoang »

I am having a performance problem as well. I am trying to see if everyone is going through this.

I can hear my hard drive start and stop frequently while booted to the tech preview hard drive(dual-boot). when I click on something, it can take 25 to 30 seconds to respond 95% of the time. I know this is a test os but with that type of performance, it is very difficult to use for testing. I have seen it just not respond at all to some programs like 1 time it would crash every time I click on "this PC" to try to see the drives on the computer it would crash. I have to restart the computer to get it to work.

I need to know if this is suppose to be like this or if I need to consider there might be an issue with the older hard drive i'm using for the test os.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@louhoang
Do you have a "performance problem" or a "performance problem with THIS app"? Because I don't think you do. So, please open a new thread or find something appropriate, because this is not the bug you're looking for.

@maker365
I downloaded the app, tried it on a Win10x64 guest and I saw no problems with performance. Nothing I wouldn't expect from a VM.
maker675

Post by maker675 »

@socratis

didn't see your last post.... Thanks for testing: that gives me hope!

Hadn't managed to "fix" this but now with the 5.1.24 update decided to have another go.

Now the software is sluggish but can be used. (Whereas before it just jammed up.)

So that's progress. ;)