Do I need a Floppy Drive?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
EternalVirtualBox787

Do I need a Floppy Drive?

Post by EternalVirtualBox787 »

I don't know where else to post this, but I'm trying to run a Windows 98 VM.

I have purchased it legally, but I am just wondering whether or not a Floppy Drive will be necessary for the boot disk or not.

That is all.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Do I need a Floppy Drive?

Post by socratis »

If I'm not mistaken Windows 98 second edition (Win98SE) used a bootable CD. If that's the one you bought, it should boot from the CD. What do you have in your hands? A CD only? An image of a CD?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Do I need a Floppy Drive?

Post by mpack »

EternalVirtualBox787 wrote:I don't know where else to post this, but I'm trying to run a Windows 98 VM.
In that case "Windows Guests" seems like a good choice. I'll move it there now.

As Socratis says, if you bought Win98SE then you should have physical boot media, since Win98SE didn't come any other way. So do you have a CD or it is floppies?

You can add a floppy controller and drive to the VM if you like, but if the physical media is a CD then you won't need a floppy drive.