Easy fix? Can't recognize USB

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jaydenkim

Easy fix? Can't recognize USB

Post by jaydenkim »

So, I have a list of screenshots to give more info of my VM (on my girlfriends computer)

I have the latest version of VB, I have downloaded the extension pack, and my VM is Windows 7 64 bit. Here are the screenshots for my VM: imgur (.) com/a/540Ph

I can't screenshot while the VM is on(or atleast I kind of can), but ultimately when it's running I don't have the option to recognize my USB devices. I do have guest additions installed: imgur (.) com/a/asN0Y
I also can't access D: ? imgur (.) com/a/0ShPC maybe this is also why I can't seem to find my shared files.

Am I missing anything? I'm fine with restarting my VM, nothing too important is on it since I just started.

TL:DR; My question is that my USB devices are not being recognized, and my shared folders are not appearing. I have installed the latest of everything, and all extension packs. Is there a way I can fix this so my USB devices can be recognized? How can I view my shared folders?

Thank you for any and all help, if you need any more info, please ask!
Host: Xubuntu 15.10
Guest: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Dell Latitude 830
Last edited by jaydenkim on 8. Jun 2017, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Easy fix? Can't recognize USB

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
jaydenkim

Post by jaydenkim »

Thank you, here's the log :)
Attachments
Windows7-2017-06-08-13-14-51.log
(76.82 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by socratis on 8. Jun 2017, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

To the USB issue: Have you added your users name to the vboxusers group, and if so have you rebooted?

For you other issue I am having a difficult time really understanding what it is you are trying. Do not post links to off site as I don't every go to off site links. Post the question again and be as clear as you can.
jaydenkim

Post by jaydenkim »

I believe I have, but is there a way I can make sure?

Oh sure, I'll edit my question right now!

My question is that my USB devices are not being recognized, and my shared folders are not appearing. I have installed the latest of everything, and all extension packs. Is there a way I can fix this so my USB devices can be recognized? How can I view my shared folders?
Last edited by socratis on 8. Jun 2017, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

For Shared folders, please read: User manual, ch. 4.3. Shared folders.
For USB problems, please read: USB basics and troubleshooting.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

For the group question type id in the terminal and see if it returns the vboxusers group and then verify that you have rebooted the host..

As for the shared folder I see it is defined and you have installed the guest additions, so you seem to have it setup properly. After that you would look in the guest file manager for the shared folder under the network IIRC.
jaydenkim

Post by jaydenkim »

I see, "vboxusers" wasn't returned. How can I add my name into it?

And I can't seem to find any network IIRC, all I can see are the folders I had put into the "Machine Folders" and "Transient Folders".
jaydenkim

Post by jaydenkim »

And thank you Socratis, I'm reading up on it as well
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

For the "vboxusers", USB basics and troubleshooting, #7: Troubleshooting, part 5.

For the network, in your guest, under "Computer" there should be a "Network" folder (of sorts). Look in there...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.