[Solved] My Newer Version of Vbox Crash, When i Ran Anti-Rootkit Tools

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Kiamhu

[Solved] My Newer Version of Vbox Crash, When i Ran Anti-Rootkit Tools

Post by Kiamhu »

I use Windows XP SP 3 as my Guest. Everytime I ran Anti-Rootkit Tools like:
GMER: http://www.gmer.net
MalwareBytes Anti-Rootkit: https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/
PC Hunter: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pc_hunter.html
AntiSpy: https://code.google.com/archive/p/antispy/downloads

Everytime i Run this tool, cause a Crash and that Crash Window came out.

This Crash Was not Happend when i ran those tool in VirtualBox version 5.0.14-105127
Last edited by socratis on 8. Jun 2017, 18:23, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: My Newer Version of Vbox Crash, When i Ran Anti-Rootkit Tools

Post by socratis »

Do you run the toolkit in the guest (WinXP) ?
Does that crash the guest or your host?
What is your host?
What is your VirtualBox version?
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kiamhu

Post by Kiamhu »

Do you run the toolkit in the guest (WinXP)
Yes, i did.
Does that crash the guest or your host?
No, my Host is fine. Crash is only on my guest.
What is your host?
Windows 10 Pro 32 bit.
What is your VirtualBox version?
My Current version is 5.1.22-115126
I began to realize this Crash is on version starting from 5.1.14-112924 (I downloaded it on 5th Maret 2017).

This is the VBox Windows while Crash:

I can't Upload it here because it directly said that this file is too big. So, i try to Upload it to SendSpace: https://www.sendspace.com/file/ubs4mp

Hope you can Download it for your Review..

Thank you..
Last edited by socratis on 6. Jun 2017, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed tags.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Kiamhu wrote:I can't Upload it here because it directly said that this file is too big
Did you try to zip it? Please ZIP it and then attach it. And please do the same with your images as well (although in this case it wasn't really necessary). See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kiamhu

Post by Kiamhu »

socratis wrote:
Kiamhu wrote:I can't Upload it here because it directly said that this file is too big
Did you try to zip it? Please ZIP it and then attach it. And please do the same with your images as well (although in this case it wasn't really necessary). See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
VBox.rar
(39.92 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
The picture, although i have zip it, still to big. I try to host it instead:
https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/17/11/92/75/vbox10.jpg
Last edited by socratis on 6. Jun 2017, 15:25, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed automatically loading off-site image.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:08.201897 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
00:03:44.141193 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation -2301 (VERR_REM_VIRTUAL_CPU_ERROR)
The lack of VT-x is what's causing your Guru meditation. Read the following to see how you might fix the situation: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62339

PS. I'm not sure what the desktop picture adds to your description, so I'll remove the online loading from happening automatically.
Kiamhu

Post by Kiamhu »

Once you get there you need to look for something buried in a menu, perhaps in the security category. The option may be called something like "Enable Virtualization Technology". If you see "Virtual Directed I/O" (VT-d/AMD-Vi) then that is a different thing. Remember to reboot your host PC after making BIOS changes - in this case a full restart from power off is required, just resuming from a hibernated state may not do the job.
My BIOS doesn't have that Option. Is that something else that I can do?
PS. I'm not sure what the desktop picture adds to your description, so I'll remove the online loading from happening automatically.
After Crash, The Guru Meditation Windows said that I need to upload Vbox.log and Vbox.png. So, i just Uploaded it.

========================= Update =============================

Evidently, my Processor doesn't support Virtualization Technology

https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/17/11/92/75/-2017-45.jpg
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Kiamhu wrote:My BIOS doesn't have that Option.
Kiamhu wrote:Evidently, my Processor doesn't support Virtualization Technology
You are right, I should have looked up your processor. It does not support VT-x. Since newer versions of VirtualBox rely more and more on the availability of VT-x, I would suggest to stick with an older version which doesn't crash on your system.
Kiamhu

Post by Kiamhu »

Thank you Socratis for your time.. :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hey, no problem. Just stick with what it works. This is an area that might not receive so much "love and attention" from the developers. The days where the processors had no VT-x, are long gone I'm afraid...
Kiamhu

Post by Kiamhu »

But that Old Version of Vbox doest not support my New Updated Windows 10 anymore. It work well untill I Update my Win 10 with Automatic Update. That old version didn't open any Window when i launch it. I think maybe it not compatible anymore.

So, i update Vbox to newest Version and that guru meditation windows start to appear.

What a dilemma.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's one reason I refuse to update my PCs. My Mac is 6 years old and I still have it on OSX 10.9 even when 10.13 just got announced. As for my PC, that's 10 years old (Core2Duo, with VT-x 8) ), and I've only tried Win10 in a different partition, just for kicks. Even there, I disabled the automatic updates/upgrades. I do *not* like surprises ;)
Kiamhu

Post by Kiamhu »

Can you suggest me which is the last version (maybe provide a link too) of Vbox that don't rely on Virtualization Technology? I want to try it, hope it can still run on my Windows 10.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Difficult combination, because Windows 10 changes all the time, and if you want to keep up with it, you have to keep changing as well. Every time a new VirtualBox update comes out, it contains fixes for some new Win10 bug.

No, I don't have a specific version, you'll have to try. The downloads page (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) contains links to all the previous versions, both from the 5.1.x series and the 5.0.x series.
Kiamhu

Post by Kiamhu »

Success, i try to download the oldest version of 5.0 i.e. 5.0.40

So, if anyone experience same problem with me, Moderator can suggest this version. Thank you.. :D