Printing issues on windows 7 32-bit guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
khaos337

Printing issues on windows 7 32-bit guest

Post by khaos337 »

I'm running into a strange issue. I have a Windows 10 64-bit host running a Windows 7 64-bit guest. I am printing to a Brother MFC-7360n printer. For some reason I can only print one page. If i try to print anything that is more than one page, nothing comes out and I do not get any error messages. The printer is connected directly to the network. Any insight or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Printing issues on windows 7 32-bit guest

Post by socratis »

khaos337 wrote:The printer is connected directly to the network.
The question is how does your guest connect to the printer...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
khaos337

Post by khaos337 »

Tcp/ip port set to the host name
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Is your guest using bridged? IP addresses, gateways, masks, etc. Are you in the same domain? Same workgroup? Please don't be sparing on the details.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
khaos337

Post by khaos337 »

Sorry, wasn't sure exactly what info you would need. Its using a bridged adapter, `Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V`. Adapter Type is `Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)` and can not be changed. Promiscuous mode is set to `Deny`. Cable Connected is also checked. The guest is set to DHCP and is on the same subnet as the printer (192.168.1.7 and 192.168.1.1 respectively). The guest is in the default workgroup `WORKGROUP`, there is no domain on the network. No workgroup config available for the printer.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

khaos337 wrote:Adapter Type is `Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM) and can not be changed.
Yes it can, if the guest is shut down first. PCs, even virtual ones, don't like it if you try to remove the guts while the power is on.

But, I would NOT change it. The default NIC is there because your guest supports it. That isn't necessarily true of any other NIC type VirtualBox will emulate if you tell it to.
khaos337

Post by khaos337 »

Yes it can, if the guest is shut down first.
Yeah... I probably should have realized that before mentioning it :oops:
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, you get an IP and you have no problem (generally speaking) with network connectivity, right? Hmm, I was thinking it might be a bridged-over-WiFi issue, but your "Intel Ethernet Connection I219-V" is a wired one.

Drivers up to date? Printer drivers on the guest and network drivers on the host?

Another thing you can try is to share the printer from your Win10 host and have the Win7 guest connect to the shared printer via the host. See if that changes the situation.

On the other hand a quick search for "printer only prints one page" returns 6,410,000 results, so it maybe something that's not necessarily a VirtualBox problem...
khaos337

Post by khaos337 »

Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, its definitely not an IP issue. The computer connects to the printer fine. All drivers are up to date. Already tried connecting it to the host and sharing it, that was actually the first way it was set up, and switched it over to a direct network connection thinking that may fix the issue.

The thing that leads me to believe it is a VirtualBox problem is because it works fine on every other computer in the office. Also, the searches for "printer only printing one page" is where I started, but those issues all seem to be that the printer only actually prints one page, then stops. This issue is a little different. The printer will print 0 pages if the print job is more than one page.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you believe that this is due to VirtualBox, then it might be tough one to debug. I don't personally remember seeing something like that, so you may have to head to the bugtracker and either search for an appropriate bug, or open a new bug report where you'll attach your logs and other vital information.

It might involve some networking debugging, like packet capturing with Wireshark, but the developers will direct you appropriately. Please make sure that if you file a new ticket to update this thread with the ticket number.