[Windows 98] Tutorial for dummies for guest additions workaround?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.

[Windows 98] Tutorial for dummies for guest additions workaround?

Postby Polda18 » 31. May 2017, 15:45

Hello. I know some people already asked here, but the given informations are a way too technical for me. I simply ask to how to workaround missing guest additions to Windows 98 in order to enable shared folders (in other words how to simulate shared folders as a network drive) plus how to increase screen resolution (basic 640x480 is a way too small for my needs)

Guest Additions are unable to install and I need at least bigger screen. The default one (and only one available at the moment) is too small. I need to increase the resolution to allow bigger window show up...
The hell good boy
Polda18

Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS-DOS, Ubuntu

Re: [Windows 98] Tutorial for dummies for guest additions workaround?

Postby socratis » 31. May 2017, 16:49

Polda18 wrote:Guest Additions are unable to install and I need at least bigger screen.

See if any of these help you. If not, please state exactly what you tried and what failed:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby Polda18 » 31. May 2017, 19:46

Installed SciTech Display Doctor, registered with given serial key, selected Super VGA monitor (1280x720 - 16:9 monitor), enabled their drivers and it prompted me to restart. Now I get Windows Protection Error. What to do now?
The hell good boy
Polda18

Postby socratis » 31. May 2017, 19:51

Try the threads that I gave you. It's been many, many years that I installed Windows 98. One thing I remember vividly, is that it took me many, many, many tries to get it right. I honestly don't remember what I did, but I definitely went through the threads, and it definitely involved a lot of trial and error...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Postby Polda18 » 31. May 2017, 19:59

I was following this thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9918
I downloaded Windows 98 First Edition (I guess there's no noticeable difference between First Edition and Second Edition). Maybe wrong version of Win98? I don't know...
The hell good boy
Polda18

Postby socratis » 31. May 2017, 20:01

Oh, there is definitely a huge difference between the first and the second edition of Win98. I don't even remember seeing anyone installing the first edition lately.
socratis
Site Moderator

Postby Polda18 » 31. May 2017, 21:39

Okay, nevermind, I completely changed guides to follow and now I'm on this issue.

EDIT: That issue was resolved, simple restart did the job :)
The hell good boy
Polda18

Return to Windows Guests