Wanna cry virus

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Daniel Moreira

Wanna cry virus

Post by Daniel Moreira »

Hello,

About the wanna cry virus that triggered many problems around the world.
I have read that the vulnerability is the smb v1 protocol. Windows XP has used it, so XP guests may be in trouble sharing folders with its hosts. Is VirtualBox using smb to share folders? Is shared folders between guests and hosts immune to it?

Regards,
Daniel
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Wanna cry virus

Post by socratis »

Daniel Moreira wrote:XP guests may be in trouble sharing folders with its hosts
XP guests (or any other guest) does not share folders with the host; the host shares a folder with the guest. That's if you're talking about the VirtualBox shared folders. If you're talking about true network shared folders (SMB shares), that's another story.
Daniel Moreira wrote:Is VirtualBox using smb to share folders?
No. You can have no network card in your guest whatsoever and VirtualBox shared folders will work. They're not network related, even if they appear in the "Network" section.

Plus, Microsoft has released a hotfix for Windows XP. See: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msr ... t-attacks/
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Daniel Moreira

Re: Wanna cry virus

Post by Daniel Moreira »

Hi socratis, thats it, I was talking about sharing folders from hosts to guests.
thank you