Video speed painfully slow. 2D/3D acceleration enabled.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Mugsy
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win98

Video speed painfully slow. 2D/3D acceleration enabled.

Post by Mugsy »

My video refreshrate is painfully slow (about 5fps) despite the fact I have the "video memory" slider to the max (128MB) and both 2D & 3D acceleration are checked.

Is there a way to improve the video emulation speed?

VBox 5.1.18
Host PC: 4.3GHz 4770k i7, 16GB memory (DDR3-2133). GTX670 with latest drivers.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Video speed painfully slow. 2D/3D acceleration enabled.

Post by scottgus1 »

Did you install Guest Additions in the guest OS? GAs at necessary to get better guest 2D/3D. (Note that 2D/3D acceleration is experimental and may not work in all expected situations.)
Mugsy

Post by Mugsy »

scottgus1 wrote:Did you install Guest Additions in the guest OS?
Thanks for the quick reply.

I didn't have the "Guest Additions" installed, but I have it now and it seems to have helped (can't verify.)

I found instructions online on how to install it, and when I did, it would not allow me to install the "experimental DirectX support" without going into Safe Mode, but it installed the Additions successfully.

My VM is WinXP, so I used msconfig to boot into Safe Mode and try again to install DX support but it resulted in an error. I then uninstalled the GA's, tried again and failed again. So I uninstalled, tried to install just the GA's w/o DX support and it "failed" too. :(

So I used msconfig to reboot normally and when WinXP started, it said it detected "New Hardware" ("Guest Additions") and allowed me to now use higher resolutions.

I "previewed" the "Mystify" screen saver and it seemed decently fast at full screen, so maybe my framerate is good now even though some screen gui redraws still seem slow.

Thx.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There are instructions in the user manual on how to install the GAs. I suggest that you follow that, and not some dodgy blog.
Mugsy

Post by Mugsy »

mpack wrote:There are instructions in the user manual on how to install the GAs. I suggest that you follow that, and not some dodgy blog.
Thanks, but the information at that link appears to be out of date (says I must mount the iso and launch it manually when all that is done automatically now.)

Other than that, the instructions are identical to the link I posted. No information on what to do if you get an error (the link I posted at least directs you to the installation log and where to find it.)

Thx.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Mugsy wrote:at that link
That link is the User Manual and it's going to be valid and up to date as long as VirtualBox is alive. Not Joe Schmoe's website which is going to be gone in a year, either physically or content-wise.
Mugsy wrote:appears to be out of date (says I must mount the iso and launch it manually when all that is done automatically now.)
You should be paying closer attention:
A Windows guest should then automatically start the Guest Additions installer, which installs the Guest Additions into your Windows guest. Other guest operating systems (or if automatic start of software on CD is disabled) need manual start of the installer.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.