Screen resolution more that 1024x768

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.

Screen resolution more that 1024x768

Post by 776166 »

Host: MacOS 10.12.4
Guest: Windows 8.1 Corporate 64bit (4Gb/256Mb video)

I can not set screen resolution more than 1024x768. Video driver do not allow to do it.
Auto screen resize after window resize do not work as well.
Screen resize via screen size request do not work.

What is wrong?
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Re: Screen resolution more that 1024x768

Post by towo2099 »

What is wrong?
You haven't installed the Guestadditions?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If Towo's guess is not enough then please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
comic
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14.04

Post by comic »

I'm having the same problem... Virtualbox Guest Additions is installed. I've re-installed Guest Additions several times, disabled/enabled 3D acceleration etc. I downgraded Virtualbox to the prior, working version and its associated Guest Additions but that didn't get the resolution and auto-resize working, so I upgraded back to latest/greatest Virtual box and its associated Guest Additions. Host is Mac Sierra 10.12.4, Virtualbox Version 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2). Resolution 1920x1080 isn't available in the Windows guest generic driver. 1080p doesn't work, auto-resize doesn't work...everything was working great until a couple weeks ago. Log should be attached. :|
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

comic wrote:Log should be attached.
It should, but it's not ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DanD

Post by DanD »

I am having the same issue, the VB will not mirror the laptop resolutions. I have reinstalled the extension pack and the guest additions with no luck. I have attached the log file.

Thank you for the help :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

This is not the log file. Please try again:
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DanD

Post by DanD »

Under View the Auto resize Guest displays somehow was unchecked (somehow = it must have been something I did:) Checking that has snapped everything back to normal.

Thanks for getting back to me on this.
DanielThomas

Post by DanielThomas »

towo2099 wrote:
What is wrong?
You haven't installed the Guestadditions?
Hello, I have the same problem with my Asus gaming monitor. Can you tell me briefly what do you mean by guestadditions?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

User Manual, ch. 4 Guest Additions.
danielsender
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: centos 7, windows 7

Post by danielsender »

Hi,

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but I'm having the same issue - I'm attaching the log file so some guru can help me.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
virtuallog.zip
(26.73 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

danielsender wrote:I hope I'm not hijacking the thread
Kind of, but we forgive you. Just remember, it's just as easy to create your own, private, 110% of the attention, thread. ;)

You haven't installed the Guest Additions. You have just inserted the CD. Now from your guest you need to run the "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" and make sure that you don't get any failures along the way.
danielsender

Post by danielsender »

What happens is that I'm getting errors when I run VBoxLinuxAdditions.run - I went to the /run/media/daniel and did:
sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
and got:

Code: Select all

VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules.  This may take a while.

VirtualBox Guest Additions: Look at /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log to find out what went wrong

VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
[daniel@vivaldi VBox_GAs_5.2.22]$ 
and the /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log.gz is attached below.
But now the screen is black.
Attachments
vboxadd-setup.log.gz
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

From the file "vboxadd-setup.log":
/tmp/vbox.0/vbox_mode.c: In function 'vbox_best_single_encoder':
/tmp/vbox.0/vbox_mode.c:358:3: warning: passing argument 2 of 'drm_encoder_find' makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
   return drm_encoder_find(connector->dev, enc_id);
This looks similar to a problem reported by "tim79" in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86799#p434690
In there it is mentioned that there was success with the 5.2.23 GAs...
danielsender

Post by danielsender »

Do I have to compile the sources to get VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.23-126769.iso or there are binaries for it?