Trouble shutting down Window

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
MarkFoley

Trouble shutting down Window

Post by MarkFoley »

I am running a Windows XP VM guest headless. The VM name is "Traverse". I can see this VM running:

Code: Select all

$ VBoxManage list runningvms
"Traverse" {470d78e9-5a99-4259-9e29-b899ea0d280a}
but trying to shut it down doesn't work:

Code: Select all

$ VBoxManage controlvm Traverse acpipowerbutton

# wait a minute ...

$ VBoxManage list runningvms
"Traverse" {470d78e9-5a99-4259-9e29-b899ea0d280a}
The VM is still running and in fact never is shut down. I've not run into this problem before, but this is the first time I've experimented with headless. I'd like to be able to shutdown the VM when the host is shutting down.

Note that `VBoxManage controlvm Traverse savestate` *does* work.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Trouble shutting down Window

Post by socratis »

A computer needed to be configured in order for the power button to shut it down, mainly to prevent accidents. For WinXP go to the Control Panel » Power Options » Advanced.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MarkFoley

Post by MarkFoley »

"When I press the power button on my computer" is already set to "Shut down". That doesn't appear to be working.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I tried that advice, before I started typing my answer (the previous one), otherwise I wouldn't be so sure that it works. Check again with headfull (is that a word?) and make sure that HostKey+U works as it should. It does over here.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.