How to get OpenGL 2.0 (3.0) available on windows 10 guest ?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to get OpenGL 2.0 (3.0) available on windows 10 guest ?

Post by mpack »

Tazling wrote: Is this a dead end, i.e. is there no way to get around this limitation?
For Windows 8/10 it's a dead end until such time as the devs announce a long overdue complete revamp of graphics acceleration options (hint hint).

Win7 in a VM would work better than Win10. Though speaking frankly even the DirectX support in Windows Guests seems to be bug ridden right now (e.g. even DxDiag hangs in both 5.2.0 and 5.2.2). The devs are fighting hangs and boot failures on multiple fronts. The best I can suggest is a Win7 guest, and perhaps try a VirtualBox 5.1.x branch install with matching GAs.
larsoner

Post by larsoner »

FYI if you can live with software rendering, you can overwrite C:\Windows\System32\opengl32.dll with a MESA software rendering one. (I had to give my user ownership, then full control, then overwrite the file.) For my purposes I used Mesa DLLs found linked from qt-project dot org at /wiki/Cross-compiling-Mesa-for-Windows, a usable version of which for me was on sourceforge dot net at /projects/msys2/files/REPOS/MINGW/x86_64/mingw-w64-x86_64-mesa-19.2.1-1-any.pkg.tar.xz/download (sorry I'm too new to post URLs...).

The mingw32/bin/opengl32.dll works on Windows for software rendering for me at least, showing up as "OpenGL 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.2.1 via llvmpipe (LLVM 8.0, 256 bits)" and rendering some simple VTK visualizations just fine.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Best not to post into an old topic.

The above discussion is from 2017. Since then VirtualBox has added two new graphics controllers: VBoxSVGA (for Windows guests) and VMSVGA (for Linux guests), both of which now allow hardware accelerated OpenGL again - no there's no need to resort to software rendering if you need OpenGL.

Accelerated graphics drivers are available for Win7 and later, and Linux guests too though I don't know the version limits. VMs of Windows prior to Win7 no longer have 3D acceleration, the old feature (discussed above) having been deleted.