Importing Applications From Actual Devitry

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jtvteach
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 64bit

Importing Applications From Actual Devitry

Post by jtvteach »

Dear VB Community

This may be a question that has probably been suggested before, but I thought I may ask again.
Is it possible to import applications from my device.

I did try to import a file or folder, about two weeks ago, but it seemed to have stopped my machines working.

I have a virtual server; with 3 PCs connected and 1 PC not connected, in the act of testing the limitations of my actual device and noting the dependence of the actual device to run my virtual machines.

I am presuming that my "server permissions" restricted functionality of all the devices to open, including itself.

Is there any ideas someone could be able to direct me with, concerning this please.

I look forward to your your answers.
Yours sincerely
JT Valerie
Yours Sincerely
J T Valerie
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Importing Applications From Actual Devitry

Post by mpack »

Not a "Using VirtualBox" question - moved to "Windows Guests".

However I'm not sure it's a VirtualBox question at all. How to move applications between Windows PCs is a Windows support question, not a VirtualBox question. The fact that VirtualBox supplies the "hardware" for one PC doesn't make it a VirtualBox question, any more than it becomes an HP question if they make the other end.

Just to be clear: VirtualBox doesn't provide any tools of that nature for any OS, nor would it be appropriate.

Files and folders can be copied easily, or simply share a host folder. But, applications usually need to be installed, not copied, and that means running the installer provided by the applications themselves.
jtvteach

Post by jtvteach »

Dear Mpack

Thank you for your directions
I believe you touched on a point I believe I had not written my words properly.

The point you touched on was; "How to move applications between Windows PCs". Unless I did enter the words as prescribed.

I wanted to say "How to move applications between Windows PCs and/into virtual box folders".
Maybe, virtual box application has a library or pool with these applications, as you mentioned the possibility of what is permissible.

Am still learning and knowing the language of computing can seem strange for those not fully grasping the picture.

Please direct me
Yours Sincerely
J T Valerie
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jtvteach wrote:The point you touched on was; "How to move applications between Windows PCs". Unless I did enter the words as prescribed.
I wanted to say "How to move applications between Windows PCs and/into virtual box folders".
It's the same thing. Your Virtual PC *is* a PC. The answer is the same. You have to install the application in the (virtual) PC.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sorry, but your new scenario seems no different to me than your original scenario.

Are you perhaps asking how to virtualize a physical PC? If so then the process is called "physical to virtual migration", or P2V for short. You should find plenty of discussion on that subject already, e.g: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_ ... as_rights=.

Are you asking how to install applications in a VM? You do it by making the mapping the host CD drive to the VM, using the Storage settings of the VM. Even better is to make an ISO image of the CD and mount the ISO instead of the host drive - this is quieter, faster, and avoids the potential for the host offering to do stupid things with a physical CD.
jtvteach

Post by jtvteach »

Dear MPack

So sorry for taking so long to reply
Yes, I believe that latter would be the choice I am looking for.

I would be hoping something like that in my project.
This is something I am enquiring about with Cisco Packet Tracer, also.
Yours Sincerely
J T Valerie