[Solved] Unable to install Windows 10 in VirtualBox on elementary OS

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Tintintin

[Solved] Unable to install Windows 10 in VirtualBox on elementary OS

Post by Tintintin »

I use VirtualBox 5.1.18 on Elementary OS 0.4.

I tried to install Windows 10 as a VM. This seems to work, until the VM has to reboot. After rebooting there is an error INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE and the VM restarts forever.
To solve the problem I tried to connect the virtual disk with an IDE-Controller (instead of SATA) like recommended somewhere (can't post the link).
Unfortunately it still doesn't work. Thanks for any help!
Last edited by socratis on 13. Apr 2017, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to install Windows 10 in VirtualBox on elementary OS

Post by socratis »

In order to better understand the problem you need to submit some more information. Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.

Specifically for the VM log file ("VBox.log.zip"), here's what you do:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error.
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not saved, not paused. Completely shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tintintin

Post by Tintintin »

Thanks for your answer and sorry for not providing the information.

Here it is:
- VirtualBox 5.1.18 on Elementary OS 0.4 (64 bit) (based on Ubuntu 16.04)
- host has 32 GB memory, VM 16 GB
- log is attached
Attachments
Windows 10-2017-03-28-17-06-26.log.zip
(20.87 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The tooltip for the selection of the Chipset in VM Settings » System » Motherboard » Chipset, clearly states:
Selects the chipset to be emulated in this virtual machine. Note that the ICH9 chipset emulation is experimental and not recommended except for guest systems (such as Mac OS X) which require it.
Any comment on why you chose to modify the defaults?

Staying on the topic of deviating from the template defaults:
00:00:00.345763 [/Devices/piix3ide/0/Config/] (level 4)
00:00:00.345764   Type <string>  = "ICH6" (cb=5)
Not only you changed the proposed SATA controller to an IDE one, but you also changed the chipset from the default PIIX4 to ICH6. Any comment?
00:00:00.680427 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
So is 3D acceleration as well. You should definitely enable them in the VM Settings » Display.

Bottom line: VirtualBox gives you choices. That's good™. You'll have to understand the effects that they will have if you deviate from the proposed template. Otherwise, stick with the defaults.

PS. Moving this to "Windows Guests" from "Linux Hosts".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tintintin

Post by Tintintin »

Thanks for your help.
Of course I can explain why I changed the settings: When I saw that the default settings don't work, I began to change (more or less systematically) every possible setting. That's why.
Attached the log with default settings (3D enabled). Same result.
Attachments
Windows 10-2017-03-29-22-22-49.log.zip
(23.21 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Can you disable Hyper-V in the VM Settings » System » Acceleration » Paravirtualization Interface: -> None. See if that changes the situation. The reason? I don't like this message:
00:00:39.830464 GIM: HyperV: Guest indicates a fatal condition! P0=0x7b P1=0xffffc1019d9d9810 P2=0xffffffffc0000034 P3=0x0 P4=0x0
00:00:49.906346 GIM: HyperV: Reset initiated through MSR
Also, 1) where did you get the following and 2) did you verify its checksum?
00:00:00.732505 File system of '/home/martin/Desktop/Windows.iso' (DVD) is ext4
Tintintin

Post by Tintintin »

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I get the same error.
The file is downloaded from microsoft.com using the Windows media creation tool. I didn't verify the checksum. The tool should have done this for me.
Attached the last log.
Attachments
Windows 10-2017-04-09-19-06-14.log.zip
(22.22 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I couldn't see anything wrong with it. Maybe someone else has better eyesight compared to mine...
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

@Tintintin

As problems with the VirtualBox setup seems to have been exhausted it's probably time to start treating this as the Windows OS error it may well be, i.e. some corruption within the Windows installation. 'Google' the error message and you'll find many examples on how/why this occurs and suggestions on how to deal with it, including booting into safe mode and running chkdsk etc., etc.

If all else fails you could try a clean install of Windows 10 into the same VDI, but if you need to do that I would say DON'T use an ISO created with the Microsoft Tool as that involves the extra step of creating an ISO locally from the upgrade files downloaded. Instead of using that route go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... ndows10ISO and download the actual ISO file.
Tintintin

Post by Tintintin »

@erdeslawe
DON'T use an ISO created with the Microsoft Tool as that involves the extra step of creating an ISO locally from the upgrade files downloaded
Thank you! You were right: I downloaded a different iso-file (without the stupid tool) and it worked.
Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank you for the feedback, that's a good tip to avoid the "tool".
Marked as [Solved].