Windows 7 ISO or Image Load Into VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Shadders

Windows 7 ISO or Image Load Into VM

Post by Shadders »

Hi,

I have searched the forum – not able to see my issue – which seems to be basic.

I am using VitualBox 5.1.6.

I am using Fedora 25, and I was planning to use VirtualBox to install an instance of Windows 7.

If I examine the Windows 7 Professional 64bit DVD – in Linux Dolphin I can explore the disc – so the system automatically allows investigation of the ISO ?.

This is what I have tried so far.

1. Copied the DVD to the hard drive – but unable to select the directory or the data as an installation image.

2. Used the Linux command “genisoimage” to create an iso of the copied directory structure of the Windows 7 system, and used this as the bootable media for the vm – but still obtain cannot boot.

The DVD will start to install if the vm is running and I load the Windows 7 DVD into the drive.

The problem I have is that I have the Professional version DVD, and I want to install the Home Premium version. This is possible if you modify the “ei.cfg” file, but this can only be accomplished if the data is on the hard disk and is writeable.

I will then use a system backup of my Windows 7 laptop to implement the restore into the VM.

As such, has anyone else had this issue or progressed a similar solution ?.

Thanks and regards,

Shadders
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 7 ISO or Image Load Into VM

Post by mpack »

Yes, any host OS can browse any data on CD/DVD - the filesystem is defined by a universal ISO standard, however the executable files on the disk are not.

The most convenient way to use the CD/DVD in the long term is to first image it to an ISO file (use "dd" on your host), then mount the ISO in the VM and boot from it.
Shadders

Post by Shadders »

Hi mpack,

Thanks - just running the command now - will see if that does the trick.

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.
Shadders

Post by Shadders »

Hi mpack,

Thanks - that worked - but the issue i have is that i need to modify a file.

That is - modify "ei.cfg", and place it back in the iso. This is more a Linux question than a VirtualBox question.

If you have any ideas - then great - if not, then i can ask a Linux forum.

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.
Shadders

Post by Shadders »

Hi mpack,

I don't think i have thought this through.

I have a Windows 7 encrypted system drive - truecrypt.

My intention was to use system backup/restore process.

Will this work on a W7 VM ? if i install W7 raw, and use system restore from a backup ?

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Anything you can do on a physical PC, you should be able to do to a VM. The only exception is when the software has very specific hardware requirements, e.g. requires a specific feature or chipset. I can't imagine that TrueCrypt has any such problem, but the TrueCrypt people are better placed to answer your questions about that product.
Shadders

Post by Shadders »

Hi mpack,

Thanks - i did some searching, and since it is encrypted, then system backup is a real pain.

There is a utility disk2vhd which has the capability to export the entire drive even when the drive is being used for the system. It is a Microsoft tool - so will try that.

If not then i will try the long version.

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.