Windows 98 - Protection Error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
EternalVirtualBox787

Windows 98 - Protection Error

Post by EternalVirtualBox787 »

Okay so this is my first time trying to use VirtualBox of any kind, I have been following the instructions according to this video - "Install Windows 98 (and play old win games) with VirtualBox - Squakenet . com tutorial", and I got several Win98 isos, but only one of them (I got from a video after searching for isos) actually worked and got me to successfully run Windows 98. I followed his instructions up to SciTech Display Doctor, but after applying and installing said Display Doctor, my Win 98 emulation tells me "Windows Protection Error - your system must restart" and I can only run it in Safe Mode/Safe Mode with Networking, trying to run it normally does not run it.

Is this an issue I can fix? If so, how? I followed the instructions of the video down exactly and I'm sure of it. Is it a problem with the isos I'm using? I don't know where else to turn to for those. It is a problem with the display doctor? I don't know what to do and would appreciate some assistance please.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 98 - Protection Error

Post by mpack »

If you want to install Win98SE then it's best to start from a genuine Microsoft install CD. For both practical and legal reasons that is the only scenario we can help you with.
EternalVirtualBox787

Thanks for the reply

And yeah, I guess I will have to buckle down and purchase an actual copy of Windows 98
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If and when you do, remember to check the how-to articles: Board index » General » Howtos and Tutorials » Windows Guests.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
EternalVirtualBox787

Will do

Can I still get a little help with one minor issue though? Is SiTech Display Doctor required/reccomended for running old win games on it or is it optional? I can't find any purchase for it and it was after I downloaded it that my guest OS started messing up so I'm just wondering. The video tutorial I was watching showed the user running fine with it though. Just curious.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You didn't read the FAQs, did you? If you want to keep referencing the video tutorial, you might as well ask its author about it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

EternalVirtualBox787 wrote:Is SiTech Display Doctor required/reccomended for running old win games on it or is it optional?
That's impossible to answer - surely it would depend on requirements of the individual game. I believe there's at least one dev who seems to regard the SciTech display driver as the best performer, but personally I only found it an annoyance and prefer the less intrusive BearWindows one.

VirtualBox does not provide dedicated graphics drivers for Win9x, meaning it will fall back on basic VESA emulation (a basic graphic standard from back in the day, I'd say its better suited to business apps). Both the SciTech and BearWindows drivers talk to that VESA emulation, so I'd expect both to deliver similar performance - and neither to be very impressive frame rate wise.
Calby

Post by Calby »

Hey, can you please send me the link to the iso download? I can't find one anywhere... all I have gotten is MS-DOS, which I didn't even download. :(
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

What link to what ISO are you referring to?
Remember, no illegal torrents or warez...
EternalVirtualBox787

Thanks for all the replies guys, and sorry for the wait.

I now have the official release of Windows 98 - lucky too cuz only 5-4 were left in stock on Amazon - so I will use that for my Virtual Machine. I will also proceed with reading the FAQ and tutorials on here now that I have the reccomended release. Sorry for the wait, I was just waiting for it to come in and then was busy for a bit.

As for the link to the ISO - URL REMOVED this is where I got my Windows 98 ISO from originally, but then I got another one from URL REMOVED but now I have the actual disc, of course.

And now I can't seem to get the ISO files from the disc. I can't see any.....at all. And my computer doesn't load Floppy discs.

What do I do? I don't know how to get the iso files from my legally obtained disc, and skimming & reading through the FAQ I can't find any questions on "How do I get the ISOs from my disks?" Unless I missed something, help please?
Last edited by mpack on 7. Apr 2017, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove download links.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Download links removed - please don't do that again unless you are the copyright holder. Indirect links are no more acceptable than direct download links.

You can use the disk directly in a host drive, though an ISO is certainly more convenient in every way. Download ImgBurn and use it to make an ISO image of the CD.
EternalVirtualBox787

Oops, so sorry. Won't happen again. I was asked where I got them from and just kind of supplied, to be honest. Sorry.

Thanks for the info. Will do now.

Will ImgBurn work for Floopy Disks, or is the Floppy Disk not needed? My computer [It's an HP Touchsmart computer, had it since 2011], doesn't seem to take in floppy disks, and the floppy says it's the boot disk. I'm just curious.