Continuing Video Driver Issue in WIN 10 Insider Editions

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
tokyotea01

Continuing Video Driver Issue in WIN 10 Insider Editions

Post by tokyotea01 »

Each time I receive a new Windows 10 Insider Build, max video resolution drops from 1920x1080 to 1400x1050. In order to get higher resolution back, the only solution I have found that works is to reset the installation version and then reinstalling all of the files and apps removed by the process. With the recent push to get Creator Edition out to the masses, I'm receiving a couple of upgrades a week in the Fast Ring, which means that I will be devoting a lot more time bringing each version up to the same level. I tried several of the solutions from earlier discussions (the "Build 14986 BOD" discussion among others) and have found nothing else that works reliably and lets me keep my alterations and changes.

Looking for suggestions other than a reset of each new build and re-installation of Guest Additions. Have tried uninstalling / reinstalling Guest Addition software, deleting and reinstalling just video driver, and switching 3D off and on. I am not including a log file, but will do so if it is considered necessary to the discussion.

Host is Debian Jessie 8.5, Guest is Windows 10 Pro Insider Build 15063, VBox software is 5.1.18-114002 (both VBox and Guest Additions).
GBro
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10 Insiders Preview 15063 (fails startup in full screen)

Re: Continuing Video Driver Issue in WIN 10 Insider Editions

Post by GBro »

Pity no-one has replied to your post - I have a similar problem.

I have Windows 10 build 15063 guest running in VBox 5.1.18. The host is a 27" iMac running macOS 10.12.4.

I've found that the 15063 build cannot run in full screen mode. If I switch to full screen and reboot it will fail during the startup. The only way to finish the startup is to set the video to 1600x1200 (using the startup options provided by the blue screen at failed startup). I have also installed the 5.1.18 guest additions and added a custom video mode for my 2560x1440 screen but that made no difference - still would not startup.

There's another discussion which might be continuing: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82592&p=390817#p390817.

Cheers.

Garry