Windows Server 2012 AD DC/VirtualBox/pfSense

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
antemboy55

Windows Server 2012 AD DC/VirtualBox/pfSense

Post by antemboy55 »

Hi,

So i'm trying to setup a virtual test environment for my microsoft MCSA server exams. I want to use VirtualBox for:

1. pfSense
2. Windows Server 2012/R2 with active directory domain controller, dhcp and dns services.
3. Windows 10 virtual machine that has to communicate with the server and has to be in the AD

The current TCP/IP of my macbook i'm using to setup this virtual environment is:
IP: 192.168.0.161/24
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

I made a virtual machine in virtual box for pfSense & modified the network settings to 2 adapters : bridged & internal
Within the pfSense configuration I disabled DHCP and modified it to static instead.
What ip addresses do i have to assign on pfSense for both WAN & LAN?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Server 2012 AD DC/VirtualBox/pfSense

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Windows Guests" from "OSX hosts" because the host is not that important, the Active Directory is.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
antemboy55

Post by antemboy55 »

socratis wrote:Moving to "Windows Guests" from "OSX hosts" because the host is not that important, the Active Directory is.
Whuut?? O_o

My questions was: what ip addresses do i have to assign on pfSense for both WAN & LAN if my local machine is connected on :

IP: 192.168.0.161/24
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

FYI my local machine is MacOSX and has the virtual box software running on it for windows server and windows 10...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Look at it this way: would the question change if your host was running Linux, Windows, Solaris or Other? No, it wouldn't. Therefore the "Host" part is irrelevant to the question/problem.

Now that this is out of the system... pfSense is doing it's typical router thing; one bridged IP (you should leave it to DHCP enabled) and one internal network one. That internal one you could set it to whatever your internal network is based on.

The real problem in the setup, although you might not see it now, is the Active Directory its DNS and its own DHCP. That will be the most important part of your configuration. Therefore your question belongs to the "Windows Guests", because it requires more in-depth knowledge, not about Windows per se, but about the Active Directory part.

I hope this clears things up...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

All the domain members need to be in the same internal virtual network. What IP subnet you use for this are up to you. They have nothing to do with your physical network. The private NIC of pfSense is connected to this network and is the default gateway for your private network. The public NIC in pfSense is set to bridged mode and is bridged to the physical NIC of your host (as socratis pointed out) so that it has network access. That is the one which needs to be in the 192.168.0.0 subnet and uses the default gateway of 192.168.0.1 .
Bill
antemboy55

Post by antemboy55 »

Question 1. How do i have set the virtual box network cards for pfSense ? (currently 1 is set as bridged and 1 is set as internal)

Question 2. How do i have to set my virtual box network cards for windows server & windows 10 ? (currently set both as internal)

Question 3. How do i have to set my ip addresses in pfSense if my local machine (MacOSX), which i'm currently running virtual box on is connected on IP 192.168.0.161/24, Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 ?

Other answers like internal ip addresses for my virtual hosts i don't need to know!
This has nothing to do with the questions i'm asking and i know i can choose whatever i want for that.
Please read and answer the questions i'm asking it's simple... You guys are making rocket science out of this.
Please read between the lines and understand what i'm asking. I'm not an expert so keep it simple so i can understand.

Thanks.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Most of that has nothing to do with VirtualBox. How you set IPs is exactly the same way as you would with physical machines. The NIC which is bridged should get its IP address from DHCP, just as the host machine does.

The other NIC of the pfSense router which is attached to the internal network is the default gateway of your domain network and should have an IP in the subnet you use for your domain (and no default gateway). You set this from within pfSense.

For the domain machines, set them manually. It is not worth setting up DHCP for one or two client machines.

Here is a simple diagram of a possible configuration.

Internet
|
public IP
DSL router
|
192.168.0.x dg 192.168.0.1
pfsense
192.168.44.1 dg blank
|
dc
192.168.44.11 dg 192.168.44.1
client
192.168.44.14 dg 192.168.44.1
Bill
FrodoHobbits
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows, QNX & Linux

Post by FrodoHobbits »

Take a look at this, I know it's old and related to Server 2008 but you'll get the idea! (Maybe :wink: )
https://www.slideshare.net/rpainter/how ... virtualbox
Only trying to help.