OS Installation Problem

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
AJ Prez

OS Installation Problem

Post by AJ Prez »

I've been trying to get Windows 10 to load into virtualbox and I keep getting an error saying it couldn't install. So I used VboxManage to open the policy editor to adjust what I needed to get the install to work. It gives an error saying however that the policy editor hasn't been enabled in the OS. I tried the command line via shift+f10 in the VM and it wont come up. I tried having it capture the keyboard and still nothing. I tried setting a hotkey on the key input with the host key and a variety of other keys to bring it up and it still won't work. I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OS Installation Problem

Post by socratis »

AJ Prez wrote:So I used VboxManage to open the policy editor to adjust what I needed to get the install to work.
I don't even know what that phrase can mean. Could you explain a little bit more in detail? Actually your whole post could use some more details. How are you trying to install Win10? What was the exact error? What is "policy editor"? What's the Shift-F10?

Remember, you're sitting in front of your computer, we're not. So you have to describe it to someone that doesn't have access to your monitor. Think of it as describing the situation over the phone, and we might get closer to what you're facing.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AJ Prez

Post by AJ Prez »

OK. I can't get Windows 10 education or Home to load from the ISO. Here is the fix I found online.

At the error screen shown above, press SHIFT+F10 (this should bring up a command prompt)
Type secpol.msc to open the Security Policy console.
Navigate to Account Policies > Password Policy.
Change “Minimum password length” to 0.
Change “Password must meet complexity requirements” to Disabled.

And I'm attaching what I did using Vboxmanage via the command prompt in the host to try to fix it. It didn't work because I guess I need the OS loaded to adjust what I need to in the Security policy console. And I can't use SHIFT+F10 in the virtual machine even using the keyboard capture and the hot key for the keyboard input options to bring up the command line in the VM.
Attachments
vbox error.JPG
vbox error.JPG (65.01 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

AJ Prez wrote:I can't get Windows 10 education or Home to load from the ISO.
Then you should check the ISO. What's the error during installation?
AJ Prez wrote:Here is the fix I found online.
"Online" is too big for me to guest where exactly. Do you want to tell us the exact details where you found what?
AJ Prez wrote:At the error screen shown above,
Is that from the "online tutorial"? Because I don't see an error screen.
AJ Prez wrote:I'm attaching what I did using Vboxmanage via the command prompt in the host to try to fix it
No you didn't. Check the picture. I don't see the exact VBoxManage command, I see only the output. I don't want to start guessing what was the command. Also, you could copy/paste the whole thing instead of posting a picture...

Again, you did not describe each step with full details. Please try again, step-by-step. Start with where you found the ISO, what template you selected, what was the error message, where did you find the tutorial, what did you try with VBoxManage. Full details please...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AJ Prez

Post by AJ Prez »

I tried the windows 10 ISO for home and for education that I got from the media creation tool website from Microsoft. I downloaded both of them and even tried mounting them in the virtual machine and loading it from there. I got nothing.

That what I copied and pasted "from the error screen above", that's from the fix I found online. Here it is.

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-c ... windows-10

The error screen I am getting and everything is right in there. I put the right VBoxManage Syntax in there because it took me forever to figure it out and the command line picture I attached is everything but the command. That's the error. In short I deduced from it that its not working because the OS has to be loaded in the VM first to be able to adjust that. Whatever needed to be done to the VM via the command line, I already did that in the host machine. It changed nothing.

Both of the ISOs I got are Windows 10 64 Bit. One is home and one is education. Neither one of them worked. What I tried with VBoxManage is what was suggested in the link I posted in this message. That's the information that I kept finding as to what I needed to do. I even adjusted the host control method on the keyboard as far as the capture is concerned so I could get to the command prompt. About the only other thing I can think of is to run the installation and then go into the troubleshooting screen to get to the command line in the VM, which I did, but it didn't work and I'm assuming its for the same reason the VBoxManage command line method didn't work.

I have to do this for school and I had the exact same problem in VMware and Hyper-V. VT-x is enabled in the BIOS. I tried adjusting all other kinds of things in the settings of the VM as it pertains to RAM allocation, disk storage size, and various other tweaks within the system and I still have nothing.

You may be right about the ISO, but I'm getting them from windows and I even have a product key for the education OS and still nothing.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I can't see how you could ever have that problem if you are installing Windows 10 in a newly created vm. It would only occur when there was an existing Windows OS installed.

How did you expect to access the policy editor when there was no OS installed in the vm?

I agree with socratis. Please tell us exactly how you are creating the vm and how you tried to install the OS.
Bill