Creative Zen Vision:M via USB to Win XP as VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Jiger
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP, Linux Mint

Creative Zen Vision:M via USB to Win XP as VM

Post by Jiger »

My problem: I want to connect my old Creative Zen Vision:M media player via USB to a Windows XP VM in order to use the software installed on that machine in connection with the player. The host system is Windows 10 Home ed. and the VB is v 5.1.18r 114002 (Qt5.6.2)
In the settings under USB in the VB the device is mentioned as Creative Technology Ltd Creative Zen Vision:M [0100] and is marked. As soon as I start the XP VM the device will be disconnected.
My question: Can this be changed by any settings in the VB USB settings (or in any other way) and in that case, how should this be done?
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Creative Zen Vision:M via USB to Win XP as VM

Post by mpack »

Try reading the following post :-

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=55483#p255997
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

I followed the instructions and changed the USB settings to USB 2.0. I also deleted the filter for the device already in place, it was very narrow and then started anew. I never got the question "New hardware found". I went to the control panel and searched for new hardware but the guest system could not find anything from Creative apart from a gaming thing and a sound blaster.

A few minutes later: I had to roll my Host system back to a state of this morning, I powered on the VM with the creative device unplugged, plugged the device when the guest system had calmed down and all of a sudden, everything worked!
Any comments to this miracle?
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

What comments should I have? I'm glad the tutorial pointed you in a successful direction. The vagaries of exactly when it was successful should be discussed with the manufacturer of the device!
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

You are right, thanks for the tutorial. I think that everything was OK with the player already from start and that the trick was to connect it AFTER the XP Guest had started and calmed down.