How to install Windows 10 Guest Additions from CD when no CD is available?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Vadi2

How to install Windows 10 Guest Additions from CD when no CD is available?

Post by Vadi2 »

HI all

Devices > Install Guest Additions Image is not doing anything for my Win10 guest when the host is running on Ubuntu 16.04 Version 5.1.16 r113841 (Qt5.5.1) Virtualbox. The Windows image was created using Hyper-V from an exising Windows install, which was on a laptop that did not have a CD drive (starting to get common these days). I'm guessing this is the reason insertion for the guest addons CD image failing.

How can I get the executable of the right version inside my host machine when the CD drive isn't working?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to install Windows 10 Guest Additions from CD when no CD is available?

Post by socratis »

Shutdown the VM. Go to VM Settings » Storage » select your controller (SATA/IDE) » click on the CD icon with the plus sign (add optical drive). That will give your "virtual" machine a "virtual" CD.

You can add several actually (but don't ;) ).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Vadi2

Re: How to install Windows 10 Guest Additions from CD when no CD is available?

Post by Vadi2 »

Thanks for the quick reply - that worked.