Guest OS Windows 7 Error After upgrade to ver 5.1.116

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Faasis1215

Re: Guest OS Windows 7 Error After upgrade to ver 5.1.116

Post by Faasis1215 »

That sounds fair to me! Thanks
Faasis1215

Post by Faasis1215 »

Yes, i just did it earlier today right after receiving your suggestion to change the System's Chipset to PIIX3. Start VM with Headless but had GUI window. Then, started Headless VM on my other guest OS Win 7 but with ICH9 as the Chipset and there's no GUI window visible.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Faasis1215 wrote:change the System's Chipset to PIIX3. Start VM with Headless but had GUI window.
OK, I wouldn't even know where to start figuring out what's going on here. A log I guess?

But, for the record, it still doesn't make sense (in my head at least).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

socratis wrote:But, for the record, it still doesn't make sense (in my head at least).
It doesn't make any sense to us either, if that's any consolation. As they say, extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof, so let's see the logs.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Thanks for the log file. We found the problem. You are running your Windows 7 / 32-bit guest with the ICH9 chipset in software virtualization mode. We didn't properly test this combination but the most recent 5.1.x Windows test build (>=113984) will fix your problem.

Your log file says that VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes. You might have your reasons for disabling VT-x but if this an accident, you should enable it to get a better performance. And VirtualBox supports VT-x better than software virtualization.
Faasis1215

Post by Faasis1215 »

Thanks for the log file. We found the problem.
Glad the log file help you finding the error! I downloaded Windows Test Build 113984 but haven't installed it yet as i wanted to confirm that my understanding is correct that this test build fixes the problem and enabling VT-x in BIOS [HOST-Server 2012 R2 Standard] would be an option for better performance!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Faasis1215 wrote:I downloaded Windows Test Build 113984 but haven't installed it yet
Don't bother. 5.1.18 (114002) is out, so you might as well go for that one.
Faasis1215 wrote:this test build fixes the problem and enabling VT-x in BIOS [HOST-Server 2012 R2 Standard] would be an option for better performance!
Part 1, yes, it fixes the problem. Part 2, not better performance, but much better performance ;)

Just remember that after enabling VT-x on the host, cold-boot the host (as in power-down for a couple of seconds).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Faasis1215

Post by Faasis1215 »

I downloaded and installed Version 5.1.18 along with the corresponding extension pack and VM started with no problem. Haven't enabled VT-x from BIOS yet as our server is busy. Will probably do that in conjunction with the installation of server updates.

Again, thanks much for the wonderful support.