Win10 Installation In Guest VM Fails

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mwp

Win10 Installation In Guest VM Fails

Post by mwp »

Hi all,

Im trying to install Win10 x64 (Education Lic) in a VM (host is Win7, VBox version is 5.1.14 r112924).
The Win10 ISO was created with the MS ISO Creation Tool (found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/softwar ... cwindows10 ).
The ISO was created today, so i gather its the latest build of Win10 (not sure how to confirm this?).

The VM is created with the standard Win10 x64 options (nothing changed at all).
The ISO boots, Win10 does the install ok (so it seems anyway), then reboots the VM.
After reboot i get the error message "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.".

Ive also tried different VM options (using EFI, etc), but they all do the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Re: Win10 Installation In Guest VM Fails

Post by erdeslawe »

If you search Windows forums, you will find there are many questions/suggested solutions on this Windows installation issue, the vast majority of which relate to an issue with the "Windows Password Policy" relating to the specific Microsoft User Account being accessed, i.e. nothing to do with VirtualBox, as most questions/answers obviously relate to hardware installations.

My suggestion would be to start with those, but you could also consider direct downloading the correct Windows ISO installation media from the Windows Download Centre rather than using the MS Creation Utility to download and convert files to an ISO as that introduces and additional layer of complexity and the possibility of error (glitches) in the process.
mwp

Re: Win10 Installation In Guest VM Fails

Post by mwp »

They all seems to refer to hitting "shift-f10" then using MSC to add a user or similar. That would be fine, if shift-f10 did anything.
When the dialog appears, there is no mouse cursor, and there is no way to click the OK button on the dialog box.

I wasn't sure if this was somehow related to vbox.