Getting a error message after reinstalling

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Mark432

Getting a error message after reinstalling

Post by Mark432 »

I had to reinstall Windows 10 and subsequently VB. Then I imported a Windows XP file and it appeared in VB. However when i launched it, I received a message suggesting that I post the log file here. I'm doing that because I cannot decipher the log file and hope that someone can rectify the problem for me.
A few years back I did not experience any such problem when I went through the above procedure but it was with W8. Here is the log, unfortunately it is very long.

Just got a message that my post has 284731 characters while the maximum is 60000, so I've chopped some out. Hope that I have included the relevant parts.

[Mod edit: Deleted partial log]
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Getting a error message after reinstalling

Post by socratis »

Partial logs are not that helpful I'm afraid. Please ZIP and attach the full log. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mark432

Post by Mark432 »

Thanks for your reply. Learning fast here. Attached is the log file zipped.
Attachments
Windows XP-2017-02-12-09-28-37.zip
(54.24 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.076503 WARNING! 64-bit guest type selected but the host CPU does NOT support HW virtualization.
00:00:03.920088 Full Name:                       "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz"
The first part says that your CPU doesn't support VT-x, but the second part says it definitely does. Interesting why VirtualBox says you have a 64-bit guest.
00:00:03.490995 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
00:00:13.961255 !!         VCPU0: Guru Meditation -2301 (VERR_REM_VIRTUAL_CPU_ERROR)
The second part is the crash you're getting and the first part is the why. Can you go to your BIOS and enable hardware virtualization, aka VT-x?

Also it is the proposed remedy in tickets 14597 and 15618. Look for the responses from "frank".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mark432

Post by Mark432 »

Mark432 wrote:Can you go to your BIOS and enable hardware virtualization, aka VT-x?
Thank you very much for that bit of information. It's all working now. For a while I was contemplating starting from scratch again.

Just one last bit of information. Could you tell me what I need to do to prevent two messages appearing while the guest is booting namely:-

"You have Auto capture keyboard option turned on. This will ...... direct to the VM"

"You can press the host key ..... defined as Right Ctrl".

I have not had those statements appear before but if I have then I have forgotten how I got rid of them.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Mark432 wrote:I have then I have forgotten how I got rid of them.
Riiight.... I haven't seen them for years, but if I'm not mistaken there are two icons on the right. One of them is "Close" (I believe an "X") and the other is "Don't remind me again" (something like a negative-dialog-bubble).
Mark432

Post by Mark432 »

Mark432 wrote:and the other is "Don't remind me again"
Yes, it was there but I had not seen it because the window was too large for the screen.

Once again, thank you very much for your support.

Cheers,
Mark432