Win 7 resolution max 1024x768

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
parg0

Win 7 resolution max 1024x768

Post by parg0 »

Hi. I'm using a Windows 7 guest on a Mint 18 host machine.
Virtual box is as of today version 5.0.32. Previously I think it was 5.0.24 installed via the official Mint channels.
Laptop is Xiaomi Mi Air 13'3" attached via HDMI to a LG monitor.

My problem is that maximum resolution with the VirtualBox Graphics Adapter can't go further then 1024x768. Hack, driver rollback to Windows strandard display driver gives me greater resolution and more options...
Both Guest Additions & Extension pack for 5.0.32 are installed.
Option "Auto-Resize guest display" is activated, but works only one-way: reducing the resolution.
Option "Virtual screen -> Resize to" also works only one-way: when lowering the resolution.
Also after lowering the resolution via VirtualBox menus even Control panel -> display -> screen resolution in the guest won't show the 1024x768 as an option, I have to restart the box to get it as an available option...

Since I had a Win7 box from my old laptop which I transferred to this one, I thought that there is something wrong with it, so I created a new box with a fresh install of Windows 7. No sugar. :?

At this point I'm out of ideas what might be wrong...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win 7 resolution max 1024x768

Post by mpack »

Try shutting down the VM, then in the manager (not the VM), go to File|Preferences|Display and set the Maximum Guest Screen Size to None.
parg0

Post by parg0 »

mpack wrote:Try shutting down the VM, then in the manager (not the VM), go to File|Preferences|Display and set the Maximum Guest Screen Size to None.
Damn it! That did it! :D It was set to "hint".
But now I'm all WTF? :shock:

Is the "hint" option a default? Why do we have this behavior in the first place? I've been using VirtualBox for years and the only reason why I've ever felt the need to open the preferences window is to meddle with the networks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

parg0 wrote:Is the "hint" option a default?
Not to my knowledge. To my knowledge it would only be set that way because you set it that way. By default it would be set on "Auto". Possibly you set this using the VBoxManage command line rather than the dialog.
ashija

Post by ashija »

mpack wrote:Try shutting down the VM, then in the manager (not the VM), go to File|Preferences|Display and set the Maximum Guest Screen Size to None.
thanks this solution worked for me thanks alot